Okay, so I’ve already showed you how to make amazingly delicious Italian Meringue Buttercream. Now you need something to put it on. How about these delicious raspberry cupcakes?

The raspberry bushes that were planted a few years ago in our backyard are finally producing a lot of berries. They are so yummy, much sweeter than those I’ve purchased from the store. I have a hard time not popping them straight into my mouth from the bush. But I managed to save a handful and made some wonderfully fresh cupcakes.

Baked cupcakes

Frosting cupcakes

This is a very simple recipe, not anywhere near as complicated as the meringue buttercream I iced them with, which is a nice contrast. I took a basic recipe for a yellow shortcake and folded raspberries into the batter before scooping them into the cupcake pan. So easy, so delicious.

I had a hard time not popping all of these straight into my mouth from the cooling rack.

Raspberry Cupcake

Raspberry Cupcakes
Adapted from Sky High Cakes
Makes 18 cupcakes

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup cake flour
 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup of raspberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners or grease with butter and flour.

Cream together the butter and sugar on medium high speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Add the the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the batter in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until just combined. Fold in the raspberries.

Scoop into the prepared cupcake pan, filling each cup about two thirds full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.

Frost as desired, perhaps with some Italian Meringue Buttercream? Then be sure to top with more raspberries.

12 Responses to Raspberry Cupcakes

1. Anna says:

They look adorable, I love raspberries in cake.

2. The Comfort of Cooking says:

These are too gorgeous for words! They look so delicate and feminine, and absolutely delcious. I'm just crazy for raspberries (as evidenced by my post today), and I can't wait to try these out. Thanks for the recipe, Annalise!

3. Jennifurla says:

I love your presentation here, I bet they were delicious

I love these cupcakes. Great photos too!

5. Celeste says:

Mmmm those do look completely delicious! :)

6. Lucy says:

These are so pretty they just make me smile. Delicious :)

7. sokeleng says:

Your cake is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I baked this cake for my husband birthday. All the cakes disappeared very fast. That day I ran out of cake cases in the kitchen, I used taller
    Cupcake liner
    in replace of the common cases.

Happy baking.

The recipe calls for "2/3 cup buttercream" – did you mean buttermilk?

9. Annalise says:

Thank you for catching that, it has been fixed!

10. Krystin says:

They are DELICIOUS! I made these today for a baby shower and I “taste tested” one. Amazing. I will be making them again…and again…and again.

11. … [Trackback]…

[...] Informations on that Topic: completelydelicious.com/2010/10/raspberry-cupcakes.html [...]…