Things tend to really slow down for me during the summer. Well, I have plenty of things going on, so maybe that’s the wrong way to put it. Okay, I slow down. I want to just lay back and let the warm temperatures and bright sunshine wash over me. I can’t possibly be bothered with anything, really.
One thing that unfortunately gets shoved aside during the summer is baking. I know, I know! It kills me on one hand not to bake, but on the other hand, well I get to enjoy a better night’s rest in more comfortable indoor temperatures. You see, we do not have air conditioning. We have a swamp cooler that barely keeps up with days like today where temperatures ventured into the upper nineties for the first (and far from the last) time this year. So turning on the oven for a few hours is about the last thing I want to do.
I try to get creative with no-bake and chilled or frozen desserts. Alas, it’s impossible to go an entire summer without baking something in the oven. Last weekend we had plans to meet my sister and her family for a full day by the pool and since she is such a chocolate fanatic, I took the opportunity to try a new brownie recipe. I cranked the oven to 350 degrees and hoped for the best.
It turned out to be well worth the effort. These Triple Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Walnuts live up to their mouthful of a name, and are definitely worth heating my house a few extra degrees for. They are pure chocolate heaven— rich, dense, and biting into one of these brownies is almost like biting into a piece of fudge.
The chocoholic gave her stamp of approval, as do I. The walnuts are my addition and I really enjoy the crunch and the nuttiness alongside the rich chocolate. These brownies are best enjoyed on a hot summer day, poolside, with the ones you love. Oh, and probably a tall glass of milk.
Fudge Brownies with Walnuts
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate , chopped
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate , chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (1½ sticks)
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts , chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate with the butter. Stir until smooth and remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in the sugar and vanilla. Then add the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each. Add salt and flour and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs, about 25-30 minutes. Cool completely in pan, then cut into bars.