This coffee cake filled with the classic strawberry-rhubarb combo and topped with a crispy crumb topping is a perfect springtime treat!
One of my favorite signs of spring is the shoots of rhubarb that pop out of the ground in my backyard every March. It means winter is over! And more importantly, that I can bake all the strawberry-rhubarb things again. The fruity sweet + tart flavors is one of my favorite combinations and I just can’t get enough this time of year.
This coffee cake has a simple vanilla cake base, a filling of strawberries, rhubarb and lemon zest, and a buttery crumble topping. I’m not ashamed to admit I enjoyed slices with breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a few days.
Told you I was obsessed!
baking tip:How to prevent cake from sticking to the pan
- Line the bottoms of cake pans with parchment paper. You can trace and cut circles from sheets of parchment, or use pre-cut rounds.
- Use a baking-specific nonstick spray that contains flour. (Look for Baker’s Joy at most grocery stores.)
- Grease pan completely with butter, then dust with flour.
- Use a nonstick pan. Dark nonstick pans can be tricky to bake with, but I do love to use them occasionally, such as with bundt cake.
Other strawberry rhubarb recipes
In case you’re obsessed like me…
- strawberry rhubarb crumb bars
- strawberry rhubarb pie
- strawberry rhubarb stuffed french toast
- strawberry rhubarb meringue tartlets
- strawberry, raspberry and rhubarb crisp
- mini strawberry, rhubarb and pecan hand pies
- strawberry rhubarb upside-down cake
Shop tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 113 grams) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 2 cups (334 grams) sliced strawberries
- 2 cups (275 grams) sliced rhubarb
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (105 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
Make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with a non-stick baking spray that contains butter, or butter and dust with flour.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each.
- Add vanilla extract and butter milk and mix until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Make the filling:
- Toss the strawberries, rhubarb, and lemon zest together.
- Place in an even layer over the cake batter, leaving about a 1/2 inch border around the edges.
Make the crumb topping and bake cake:
- Combine the sugar, flour, and melted butter with a fork until combined.
- Drop in medium-sized chunks on top of the fruit filling.
- Bake cake until crumb topping is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with only a few moist crumbs, about 35-40 minutes. The center of the cake should also bounce back when gently pressed.
- Let cool in the pan 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and remove sides of springform pan. Let cool completely before serving.