This delicious chicken salad is filled with shredded chicken, chopped pecans, diced apples, dried cherries, and a creamy rosemary-scented dressing.
I’ve been sitting on this chicken salad recipe for 7 years and I feel rather bad about it because IT IS THE BEST CHICKEN SALAD EVER! I first made it for our coed baby shower before our oldest was born and it’s been a favorite ever since. It’s adapted from this recipe that I found through my friend Heidi’s blog Foodiecrush. I make it for visiting guests, picnics in the park, or whenever I need to satisfy the craving. It hits the spot every single time!
This chicken salad recipe filled with pecans, apples and dried cherries is both sweet and savory, creamy and crunchy and full of great flavors you don’t always find in a more traditional chicken salad. It’s simple enough that you can throw it together for a quick lunch any day of the week, but it’s also refined enough to serve at bridal showers, baby showers, and other special gatherings.
What every chicken salad recipe needs
Here’s my simple equation for a chicken salad recipe everyone will love. Follow my recipe at the end of this post as written (you’ll love it, I promise), or use this guideline to make your own variation!
- Shredded chicken— I love to cut corners with the cooked chicken and buy shredded rotisserie chicken from the deli at my grocery store. But you can very easily make your own too.
- Something crunchy— This chicken salad gets a double dose of crunch from tart apples and chopped pecans.
- Something sweet— Dried cherries are one of my favorite additions to this chicken salad. They’re sweet and bursting with flavor. And much better than dried cranberries in my opinion!
- Something green— Fresh herbs are a surefire way to elevate any chicken salad, and I love the subtle earthy and savory flavor fresh rosemary brings to this recipe.
- A creamy dressing— A creamy dressing made with either mayonnaise, greek yogurt, or a combination of the two (your choice) plus minced shallots, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper brings it all together!
How to enjoy this chicken salad
You can serve this chicken salad on bread, in a wrap, or on a bed of lettuce tossed with a little olive oil and lemon juice. All options are delicious!
How long does chicken salad last?
Any prepared chicken salad should be stored in the refrigerator. There it will last 3-5 days, as long as the chicken is fresh. The ingredients will lose their crunchiness over time, so I typically try to use it up within 2-3 days. Though to be honest, we hardly every have any leftovers!
Shop tools for this recipe
Chicken Salad with Pecans, Apples, and Dried Cherries
- 4 cups (1 lb) shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tart apple (I liked to use honeycrisp, gala or pink lady), diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise, plain greek yogurt, or a combination of the two
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, diced apples, pecans, and cherries.
- In a separate bowl combine the mayonnaise/greek yogurt, shallot, vinegar, rosemary and salt and pepper.
- Add to the chicken mixture and mix until combined. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with bread, wrap, or lettuce.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-5 days.