Skip the drive-thru and try this homemade cherry limeade instead!
It’s that time of year when everything is fresh and plentiful. So much great produce is right at my fingertips, and the inspiration for new recipes is constant. The ideas just keep coming and my list has never been so long. But my pregnant body screams “hell no, don’t you dare get off the couch or I’ll make you regret it later!” And so on the couch I remain.
My energy has plummeted in recent weeks and some days it’s all I can do to feed my family, let alone create new recipes. And so I hope you’ll forgive the slowdown of posts. Hopefully you’re off having your own summer fun and haven’t even noticed.
When I’m not eating ice cream for every meal, I’m craving a fun cold beverage. Soda drive-thrus are all the rage in Utah right now and my stops are almost a daily occurrence. But when I found a bag of the most beautiful cherries on sale at my grocery store this morning, I decided to cut out the middleman. And now I have a huge pitcher of this homemade cherry limeade that I’m hoping will at least last till tomorrow.
For the recipe I basically took my cherry limeade granita and skipped the part where you put it in the freezer. It’s so fresh, and the combined flavors of pureed sweet cherries + fresh lime juice is a million times better than what you’re going to get from any drive-thru.
- 2 cups cherries , pitted (385 grams)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar (133 grams)
- ⅔ cup water (157 ml)
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (118 ml, approximately 3-4 limes)
- 2 cups club soda or sparkling water , chilled (473 ml)
- Lime wedges , for garnish
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cherries until smooth. Strain the liquid with a mesh strainer.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and combine with the cherry juice and lime juice.
- Chill mixture completely.
- Put chilled cherry-lime mixture into a pitcher and top with club soda and ice. Serve with lime wedges.
11 Comments on “Cherry Limeade”
This is pretty much my ideal drink. I love all things fresh cherries!
Ahhh just in time for cherry season!! Love this so much!
I need a permanent supply of this! So delicious and perfect for drinking all summer long. 🙂
This looks just absolutely delicious. All it needs is a yummy sugar cookie to go with it. Frozen of course. 🙂
Yum yum! Cherry Limeade is my all-time favorite drink! Can’t wait to make this.
Looks like a great way to keep cool. Hang in there! 🙂
I am SO craving this! I just made lime cookies with the hopes of doing something cherry-limeade-ish with them. I wish I lived closer and could bring you whatever your little bump desired 🙂
Yum!! This looks like such a refreshing and summery drink. Perfect for a pool party!
Any substitute for fresh cherries?
You can always use frozen cherries!
I made this over the weekend, it was absolutely delicious! The recipe is going to be saved in my cookbook!