Build Your Own Pancake Board
This fun and creative “build your own” pancake board with all the toppings is perfect for breakfast, brunch, and even brinner!
Pancakes are one of my family’s favorite weekend breakfasts. My husband often will make a batch while the kids watch cartoons and I squeeze in a quick run, and then we all sit down together for short stacks with a side of bacon or sausage links.
But while we all love pancakes, we all have our preferred toppings. My go-to is always whipped cream and fresh berries, my husband usually keeps it classic with butter and maple syrup, and my boys usually prefer a simple topping of strawberry jam. So when I was flipping through Maegan Brown’s new book “Beautiful Boards: 50 Amazing Snack Boards for Every Occasion” and came across this epic pancake board with all the toppings you can imagine, I knew I had to make it.
There’s something for everyone on this breakfast board and your friends and family are simply going to go nuts for it— mine did!
Meagan has been sharing snack boards for ages on her blog, The Baker Mama, and her new book is a lovely continuation of her genius and creativity. My kids and I had a lot of fun looking through “Beautiful Boards”, and we’ve earmarked fun boards for every holiday and celebration.
But first up, this pancake board!
How to Make a Pancake Board
This fun breakfast board really is quite simple to prepare and arrange:
- Start with your favorite homemade pancake recipe. I highly recommend my Best Buttermilk Pancakes, they really are the very best!
- Use a large board. Maegan recommends 15 x 20 inches, mine was 18 x 24 inches.
- Keep bacon and pancakes warm in a 200°F oven while you arrange everything else on the board.
- Serve syrup and spreads in their original jars to keep it simple, or use small prep bowls to make it a bit fancier.
- Arrange all the toppings on the board (see below for topping suggestions), leaving space down the middle for the pancakes.
- When you’re ready to serve, peel and slice the bananas, add the pancakes to the board and tuck bacon strips onto a corner.
- Place pancake board in the center of your table where everyone can reach and assemble their own dream stacks.
Pancake Board Toppings
The sky’s the limit with this pancake board! Pile it high with all of your favorite toppings for endless flavor combinations and enjoyment. Here’s some suggestions:
- Salted butter
- Real maple syrup
- Peanut butter
- Nutella or other chocolate spread
- Jam or preserves
- Mini chocolate chips
- Fresh berries
- Sliced bananas
- Whipped cream
- Crispy bacon
Another great thing about this pancake board is that many of the toppings also double as sides! Build your stack just the way you want, add some berries and bacon on the side and you’ve got yourself a complete meal. Just add coffee or OJ.
My kids loved this pancake board so much, I’m afraid I won’t be able to serve pancakes any other way now! This board is great for any morning at home, but would also be wonderful for a brunch party, holiday, or other special occasion.
Shop tools for this recipe
Build Your Own Pancake Board
- About 18 Buttermilk pancakes
- 10 slices bacon , cooked
- ¾ cup raspberries
- ¾ cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 2 bananas , peeled and sliced
- ½ cup salted butter , sliced into small pats (1 stick)
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- Keep pancakes and bacon warm in a 200°F oven until ready to serve.
- Arrange toppings on the board, leaving space down the middle for the pancakes. Leave one corner open for the bacon.
- Keep spreads in jars or put in small jars or bowls.
- When ready to serve, add bacon and pancakes to board. Peel and slice bananas.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!