A oven dutch baby pancake with a delicious apple twist!
When I first discovered the dutch baby / puffy oven pancake / whatever you want to call it, it was a huge aha moment. They’re so wonderfully easy! Just a few minutes of prep with a handful of basic ingredients, and then it works its magic in the oven while you brew a pot of coffee or take a shower.
And when you pull it out of the oven it’s puffed high, golden, and begging to be devoured.
Adding apples to this breakfast favorite is a no-brainer this time of year. All I did was add a touch of cinnamon and brown sugar to the batter and pour it over thinly sliced apples, and serve it with a syrup made from reduced apple cider.
Breakfast, you’ve never looked better.
- ½ cup (100 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) quality apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (168 ml) whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 small-medium) apples, peeled and sliced
- Combine the brown sugar and apple cider in a small saucepan. Add the cinnamon stick and whole cloves. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer until reduced and thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place 8 or 9-inch cast iron skillet or other baking dish in oven as it preheats.
- Put the butter into skillet and return to the oven. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs, flour, milk, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon. Once butter is melted, remove from oven and brush butter up the sides of the pan so it's well covered. Arrange the apples in the skillet and pour the batter over the top.
- Return the skillet to the oven and bake until puffed and golden, about 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately with the apple cider syrup.
- Store leftover syrup in the fridge.
Note: This recipe first appeared on Completely Delicious in October 2012. Photos have been updated.
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.