A triple threat— these fudgy brownies start with a base of melted chocolate, are studded with chocolate chips, and topped with a rich chocolate ganache.
Sometimes I go crazy and make claims that I’m not much of a chocolate person. And that is definitely, absolutely 100% not true.
Put a pan of brownies in front of me and I’ll show you how much I love chocolate. I’m even pretty sure that I could have made these brownies disappear in record time if they weren’t destined to be shared at our Sunday family dinner.
These are the most chocolaty brownies I have ever encountered, thanks to bittersweet chocolate, times three. Instant espresso powder is an optional addition, but it really helps the flavor. And underbaking them helps keep them dense with a gooey and fudgy interior.
Serve them warm (with ice cream!) or cold, you can’t go wrong.
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 9 ounces (255 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped or use chips
- 1½ cup (300 grams) sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (170 grams) bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup (56 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 ounces (140 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped or use chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring frequently. When melted and smooth, remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Stir in the vanilla and espresso, if using. Gently stir in the flour and salt, stirring only until streaks of flour are almost gone. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake until edges are firm and dry, and center is set but not dry, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently as mixture melts. When smooth, remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour onto the cooled brownies and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serving, for best results. For clean slices, wipe knife clean with a warm wet towel in between each cut.
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.