Blueberry Hand Pies

It’s already July, can you believe it? Another summer is flying by. I haven’t tackled anything yet on my summer bucket list. Lazy me, I need to get on that!

I can, however, mark off one unofficial summer bucket list item with these blueberry hand pies. I’m kind of obsessed with pies, if you hadn’t noticed. They are my most favorite thing to bake and these little snack pies are the perfect summer variation.

Blueberry Hand Pies Blueberry Hand Pies

You can stuff them with whatever fresh seasonal fruit you’re bound to have lying around your kitchen, and they are wonderfully portable. Ideal for a picnic, cookout, or barbecue!

Blueberry Hand Pies

Plus, they’re fun to bake (get the kids involved!) and gorgeously imperfect, lumpy edges, oozing juices and all.

Keep the dough chilled

It’s likely that if you’re baking a pie during the summer, your kitchen is going to be pretty warm and your dough could get soft and mushy. You may be tempted to forge on anyway, but I recommend making the fridge your best friend. Chill it in between any and all steps as necessary. It may take a bit more time, but it will make assembly much less frustrating.

Blueberry Hand Pies

Blueberry Hand Pies
A portable variation of the classic blueberry pie, perfect for a summer picnic or barbecue!
Yield: 8 hand pies
  • 1 Pie Crust recipe
  • 2 cups (10 oz, 285 grams) blueberries
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • ¼ cup (50 grams) sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon of water, for egg wash
  • Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
  1. Prepare pie crust according to recipe instructions. Roll out each disk of dough to about ¼ inch thick. Cut into 4-5 inch rounds or whatever size you prefer.
  2. Toss the blueberries, lemon zest, sugar, and salt together in a bowl. Place a large spoonful of the mixture onto each round. Wet the tip of your finger with cold water and run it along the edge of each round. Fold half of the round over on top of itself (creating a half-moon shape) and press the edges firmly together. Use the back of a fork to crimp and seal.
  3. Brush each hand pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut 2 vents in each pie.
  4. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan and bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.

33 Responses to Blueberry Hand Pies

1. Oh my, these look sooo good! I’ve recently developed a true obsession, ehm, I mean passion for blueberries and these little pies make for the perfect shell to wrap them into! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

xo, Elisa

2. Hand pies are so cute! Your pastry is to dye for, I can not believe how flaky it looks!

Thank you! It’s a killer pie crust recipe. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to try it!

You know I don’t make pies, but I DO make hand pies:) Love these!

4. Alenaspb says:

Greeting from the White Nights!
    These home handmade pies are
    delicious and very fragrant!I often
    bake these pies…And yes,of course…
    Friends!)))Congratulations on your
    holiday!And let it be your country
    richer nature,people and soul!!!
    Be happy and healthy!
    Until next time,…

5. These are gorgeous, Annalise! I love all the hand pies. I need to try my hand at them one of these days!

6. Nessa says:

Love all of the pictures! They look absolutely perfect 🙂

7. Sarah says:

This is such a down home treat, I adore handpies. Perfect crust ratio.

8. Kellie says:

These look fabulous. I currently have blueberries and strawberries in my fridge. My plans for this afternoon just got settled. 🙂

9. Mr. & Mrs. P says:

These hand pies are beautiful!!! Need to try these!

10. So sweet, Annalise! I am still catching up on your blog. Just adorable little summer blueberry pies. My blog is new, but I will not let summer pass without making some pies! Thank you for inspiring me. Have a wonderful weekend! Pinning! xo

Pies in the summer are a must! And your blog doesn’t seem new, it’s so beautiful! It seemed like it took forever for me to figure out what I was doing on my blog. You’ll have to let me know if you try this recipe! Love to hear what you think.

11. laura sezonov says:

These were truly amazing! The buttermilk in the dough was a really great touch as it gave it a better flavor. I mixed the blueberries with nectarines for extra flavor. They are superb and pretty easy to make.

12. Joyce says:

Made these wonderful treats today! The crust recipe is officially my new favorite! A four inch round yielded 13 hand pies, about half of which are gone already. The only adjustment that I would make for next time is less lemon zest.

13. Nina says:

Do you happen to have a calorie/fat content? I am baking them as I type this but don’t want to get too carried away when they come out of the oven!

14. Audrey says:

This is one of the best pie dough recipes I’ve ever made! It must have been the dough, and I only chilled it just below room temp because I was too impatient even though I’m meticulous about everything about the dough having to be super cold! I habitually added vanilla to the local, in season blueberries (still drooling just thinking about them), used coconut palm sugar and plan to make them again for my visiting family.
    Our family tradition is making perogies, mainly around winter holidays, so they were a breeze to assemble and maybe the guests can help make them or I can start a new pie-rogie tradition for the summer visits, hehe. Thanks so much for sharing this 🙂

15. Ashley says:

I just made these and while they are super yummy, they don’t look the same. Mine aren’t flakey, they are a smooth shiney crust. Any idea what I did to make them turn out this way? Thanks for the recipe!

Hi Ashley, thanks so much for the comment! I hope they at least tasted good. 🙂 It’s hard to know exactly what advice to give since I wasn’t there with you to see exactly how you prepared it. But my first guess is that the pie crust was handled too much, maybe too much liquid or mixed too much. Start there if you make these again (or a similar pie recipe) and let me know how it goes! Happy baking! 🙂

16. karen snyder says:

This does look so Delicious & so easy!

17. mel says:

can u use premaid pie crust

18. Emily says:

Could you use frozen blueberries for this recipe?

Yes, you can. But since frozen blueberries contain more water than fresh berries I would maybe add 1-2 teaspoons of flour to the berry filling mix and don’t thaw the berries beforehand. I haven’t tested this recipe with frozen berries so I can’t give you more specific instructions.

19. Sarah Duchaineau says:

Hi Annalise,
    These pies look great, and I wanted to make them as favors for my upcoming wedding. I was wondering how long you think they will keep for? My wedding is on a Saturday, but I would have to make them on Wednesday night because we’ll be traveling to our destination after that. I’m going to wrap them in parchment paper and then put them inside little cardboard pastry boxes. My thought was to try and keep them refrigerated as much as possible until we have to put them out on Saturday afternoon. What do you think?

They probably will be fine, but I would definitely store them in the fridge from Wednesday to Saturday. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

20. Patty says:

Hello Annalise,
    I use to make fried pies for a many as 500 in one day. I fried mine in butter crisco. It gave them a better crust and taste.i never tried baking them before. Think I’ll make some for dinner tonight.

21. Patty says:

Hello again what is your recipe for the dough I don’t see it with your recipe for the filling.