This isn’t a typical recipe for me to post here, I know. But it would be misleading of me not to share this salad with you, as I am devouring it on an almost daily basis right now. After all of the indulging I did over the holidays, all I want is fresh fruit and salads for every meal.
I first discovered the bliss of sliced grapefruit, mandarin oranges, and kiwi fruit served together last winter while I was pregnant. I became addicted to it and it was the only reason why I looked forward to winter this year.
I usually enjoy the salad for breakfast or as a snack without the whipped cream. But I’ve found that a dollop of whipped cream goes a long way to dress this dish up for dessert, especially when it’s sweetened with vanilla-scented sugar.
The citrus and kiwi are all in season right now and quite abundant, but don’t feel like you can’t add or substitute whatever fruits you want. Occasionally blueberries, blackberries and mango show up in mine, depending on what looks good at the market.
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 orange, tangerine or clementine, peeled and sliced
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- Additional fruit as desired
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar*
- In a the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or using a hand mixer, beat the whipped cream to soft peaks. Add the vanilla sugar (or sugar and vanilla extract) and beat to stiff peaks.
- Toss the fruit together and top with the whipped cream. Serve immediately. Store any leftover whipped cream in the fridge.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.