Today is kind of a little celebration. My baby is six months old! I celebrated John’s one-month milestone because I was so relieved that we had all survived those first few difficult weeks. Life has thankfully gotten a lot easier since then, and this a much more light-hearted celebration. John is growing so fast! He changes almost every day, and it so fun to watch him grow and learn. He’s just learned to sit up, he loves eating real food, and he wins everyone over with his big smile and fun personality.
He is such a cutie, and I cannot imagine life without him.
Every celebration calls for cake, right? Of course, this particular cake is for my husband and I. John will get his special cake in another six months. I love how this dessert turned out. It’s a very simple cake, spiced and lightly flavored with banana and studded with chocolate chips. The rich brown butter icing almost steals the show (at least for this brown butter lover), and it compliments the cake so nicely. This banana-chocolate chip cake isn’t going to win any awards, and it isn’t mind-blowing, but I’m okay with that. It’s an everyday sort of cake, the kind you can make on a whim and enjoy after dinner on a weeknight.
Whether you’ve got something to celebrate, big or small (perhaps that it’s finally the weekend, yay!), or you just have a hankering for a cozy sweet fix, this cake recipe is for you.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (137 grams) cake flour
- ⅔ cup (135 grams) sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (about 1 large) banana, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (95 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (230 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch round pan and line with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter and mashed banana and mix on low until moistened, then increase the speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl down as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Add to the mixer in 2 additions, mixing after each and scraping the bowl down. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, melt the butter. Continue to cook, while watching closely, until browned and dark specs appear throughout. Pour into a bowl and immediately add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Add milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cooled cake immediately.
- The cake can be stored, wrapped, at room temperature for several days.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.