This cake has a lot going on, it’s true. It’s full of zucchini, pears and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Plus it’s topped with a cream cheese frosting flavored with maple syrup. Yep, definitely a lot going on for one little cake.

But it’s not overwhelming. In fact, all of those many flavors work together to create one super seasonal and super yummy treat.

Pears and zucchini

Pear, zucchini, and batter

Baked cake

Our garden was very good to us again this year. And just as in years past, we had more zucchini than is possible for a couple to consume. Zucchini has got to be one of the easiest things to grow, with minimum input and maximum output. If you have a spot of land, there’s no reason why you couldn’t and shouldn’t grow your own zucchini. Then you’ll have plenty of it fresh for delicious things like this cake.

With maple cream cheese frosting

I think one main thing that attracted me to this cake recipe was that it looked and sounded so much like a zucchini quick bread recipe. Turns out it tastes a lot like a quick bread recipe, only more tender. And it doesn’t spark any confusion; it’s dessert, plain and simple. But it’s not overly sweet and I’ll admit, this is one dessert that would be great with a cup of coffee for breakfast.

I altered the recipe to include pears, but you could easily swap for apples or bananas, or omit altogether. Play around with it, have fun, you can’t go wrong!

Spiced Zucchini Pear Cake

For the frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 inch bundt pan. Alternatively, you can use a 8 inch square pan.

In a bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In another bowl, mix together the oil, eggs, and sugar. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until the mixture just comes together and the dry ingredients have fully incorporated into the wet ingredients. Fold in the zucchini and chopped pears.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto your serving platter to cool completely.

To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the maple syrup, cinnamon and powdered sugar and beat until combined.

14 Responses to Spiced Zucchini Pear Cake

1. Alicia says:

This sounds and looks so good!

2. Ravenous Rowie says:

ooh, that has me drooling! The combo of flavors and textures sounds like it makes one amazing cake!

3. Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) says:

I think my tummy just rumbled. This looks so delicious and perfect for fall, Annalise. I need to start baking with zucchini already. Thanks so much for sharing!

4. david says:

Thanks for the recipe. Worked out great!

5. ABowlOfMush says:

This is definitely my kind of cake! Looks so delicious and that frosting is driving me crazy! lol.
    Gorgeous!

6. cami says:

i want this. right now!!! yummmy!!!

7. Astrid says:

This looks delicious by the way. I just read your foodbuzz profile and love that your three favorite ingredients are butter, butter, and more butter. I love using real butter, too, and tend to shy away from using subs like applesauce. There is a reason why people bake with butter…it is simply amazing.

8. Ben says:

Awesome!! I would definitely try this at home. This would be really special and unique. Thanks

9. Sharon says:

Ravenous I feel on looking at this treat…

10. Cookin' Canuck says:

That frosting is gorgeous! This is definitely a cake to try sometime very soon.

It looked so good that I ate half of my PC screen!

12. Crystal says:

Thanks for the recipe! I baked mine in muffin tins and they turned out fabulous! The frosting is so good that even my health-freak boyfriend is eating it with a spoon!

13. Candace made this last night and we all devoured it. Delicious!!!

14. Colleen says:

I made this last night after stumbling upon your blog. The warm soft pear pieces really make the cake. I wouldn’t substitute anything for them!

I didn’t thoroughly mix the wet and dry ingredients together before adding the zucchini and pears, and it resulted in some dryish pockets in the cake. So readers, beware of that pitfall.

I also thought 2 cups of powdered sugar and 3T of maple syrup sounded like a lot of sweetness for the frosting, so instead I added only a few T of sugar and about 3 teaspoons of syrup to the creamcheese-butter mixture. It made a thicker more creamcheasy frosting than the recipe would have, but it was very good on the cake.