How to fold ingredients together
“Folding” is a method of combining ingredients without knocking the air out of the mixture, such as the folding of egg whites and batter to make this chocolate almond cake. Here’s how it’s done:
- Use a rubber spatula and make sure your bowl is big enough
- Add 1/4 of the lighter ingredients (i.e. whipped egg whites) to the batter to lighten it
- Fold the remaining egg whites in small batches
- Using the spatula, cut through the egg whites at 90 degree angle to the bottom of the bowl
- Scoop of the batter and fold it on top of itself and the egg whites.
- Rotate bowl a quarter turn and repeat only just until the lighter ingredients are incorporated into the batter.