These eggs baked with spinach, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese are perfect for any morning!
Growing up I HATED breakfast. My poor mother tried everything— pancakes, eggs, cereal, smoothies, doughnuts— but I wanted nothing to do with any of it. Fast forward 25 years and breakfast and I are still learning how to get along.
Often I forget to eat altogether, but on the days when I do remember to make something for breakfast, I actually really enjoy it. And I wonder why don’t make myself breakfast every day. (Cue huge eye roll)
Dishes like these spinach and tomato baked egg cups are quickly becoming my fave. There’s so much flavor, they’re a great healthy start to the day, and they’re simple enough for any morning of the week.
How to bake eggs
The eggs in these cups are baked on a bed of spinach and cherry tomatoes, and topped with fresh herbs and parmesan cheese. Baking times will vary based on how you like your eggs:
- 12-15 minutes for runny yolks
- 15-18 minutes for soft-cooked/medium yolks
- 18-20 minutes for hard-cooked yolks
And then serve immediately!
However, you can store these egg cups in the fridge for a few days. Eggs baked till yolks are still runny or soft-cooked will reheat best.
Spinach and Tomato Baked Egg Cups
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 12 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped parsely
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a regular muffin pan.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add spinach and tomatoes to a large bowl and pour butter and garlic over the top. Add red pepper flakes, season with salt and pepper and toss.
- Divide mixture among the muffin cups and bake 5-7 minutes until spinach is wilted and tomato skins have started to wrinkle and brown.
- Crack an egg into each muffin cup. Combine Parmesan cheese, parsley and chives and sprinkle over the eggs.
- Return muffin pan to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your preference.
- Serve immediately.