Pizza night just got a little more fun with this homemade sheet pan pizza!
Happy Friday everyone!
Do you know what that means at our house? Yep, you guessed it. Pizza night! It’s my family’s favorite night of the week, and the best start to the weekend. A few homemade slices, a glass of wine, some laughs and silliness from my boys— I can think of few things I love more.
This sheet pan pizza right here is the pizza we enjoy almost every week. It’s made with my favorite from-scratch pizza crust, covered with our favorite toppings, and baked on a sheet pan.
While I try to get a little adventurous with toppings and flavor combinations from time to time, my family is such a sucker for classic pepperoni. Most often I top our pizzas with store-bought pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, olives, and mushrooms. And I don’t mind at all really, it’s such a delicious combo.
You can use the recipe below as a guide to make whatever pizza your heart desires. The possibilities are endless!
Homemade pizza tips
- Make sure you let your pizza dough rest after it’s risen and punched down. This relaxes the gluten, making it a little less elastic and much easier to roll out.
- Don’t overload the pizza with too many toppings or you risk overwhelming and under-cooking the crust. 2 cups of toppings total seems to be the right amount for this size pizza.
- Lots of bakers swear by pizza stones, which are used to ensure a crispy crust, but I’ve honestly never used one! That’s proof that you don’t necessarily need any special equipment to make pizza at home.
- Since baking time is so short, all toppings should be ready-to-eat before going on the pizza. For example, any other meat should be fully cooked. Also consider cooking down mushrooms and caramelizing onions ahead of time.
- Packaged shredded cheese includes ingredients meant to keep it from clumping during storage and those additives prevent the cheese from melting properly. For best results, shred block cheese yourself.
- If you’re interested in grilling your pizza, you can find my grilled pizza tutorial here.
- To reheat pizza, preheat a cast iron over medium high heat. Add a few slices of pizza and 1-2 tablespoons of water. Cover immediately and let pizza warm for a few minutes. The skillet gets the crust nice and crispy again and the steam melts the cheese.
Sheet Pan Pizza
- 1 homemade pizza crust recipe or your favorite pizza crust
- ¼ - ½ cup pizza sauce, olive oil, or desired sauce
- 8 ounces fresh shredded cheese, such as mozzarella
- Approximately 2 cups toppings
- Fresh herbs or other garnishes
- Prepare pizza dough according to recipe instructions.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Roll or press dough into a lightly grease sheet pan. I like to use a rolling pin to shape dough into a large rectangle and then transfer to the sheet pan and use my fingers to press it to fit all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Spread sauce or olive oil on top of pizza. Add cheese and toppings.
- Bake until crust is golden and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Let pizza sit for a few minutes, then serve immediately. Store any leftovers in the fridge for several days.