The ultimate cookie decadence— rich brownie-like chocolate cookies studded with chocolate chips, stuffed with Nutella and caramel-filled chocolates, and topped with fleur de sel. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
I’m starting something new today on the blog! A few Sundays a month I plan to spotlight baking recipes from other bloggers I’m following around the web. I am blown away by what others are doing with butter, eggs, sugar and flour, but hardly ever get around to trying anything because I’m too busy with my own recipes. So this is an excuse to bake (and eat, of course) all the things I’m ogling over.
First up is this recipe from Izy of Top with Cinnamon (go check her out!). It was actually these cookies that gave me the inspiration for this whole thing in the first place because, well, how could I not bake them? Just look at them. Insane. Her fun video sealed the deal.
Everything about this recipe delivered, and I was even a little giddy as I assembled the cookies— stuffing them with Nutella and chocolate-coated caramel candies, and sprinkling with fleur de sel. Out of the oven, I couldn’t wait for them to cool. The mess of gooey caramel and melted chocolate on my chin and fingers were evidence of how much I loved that first cookie, and the next one too.
Thanks Izy for such a fun recipe!
Salted Caramel & Nutella Stuffed Double Chocolate Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter (113 grams)
- 1 ½ cups packed dark or light brown sugar (320 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup cocoa powder (45 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- ½ cup 85 grams semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Approximately ½ cup Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread (140 grams)
- 12 caramel-filled chocolates
- Coarse salt or fleur de sel , for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar and eggs, mixing after each addition. Add the cocoa, salt and baking powder and stir until well combined. Add the flour and stir until a few streaks remain. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place rounded tablespoons of dough on the prepared sheet pan. Use your finger to make a large indentation the center of the dough, and fill with a small spoonful of nutella (scant 1 teaspoon) and top with a caramel-filled chocolate. Take another rounded tablespoon of dough and flatten into a disk. Place on top of filled cookies and seal the edges.
- Sprinkle with salt or fleur de sel. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Cookies are best when they are still warm.