A fresh and light meal to enjoy all summer long— chicken and vegetables marinated with lemon and cilantro, skewered and grilled to perfection.
After weeks filled with the chaos of moving, where we indulged too much in take-out and fast food, all I wanted was a mountain of vegetables when we finally got to Moab. On that first grocery store trip I filled my cart with all the fresh things, and then I ate them so fast I had to go back and restock just a few days later.
The first homemade meal we had together at the new house was grilled skewers of chicken and vegetables. It’s fresh and light, and one of my favorite meals to throw together during the summer, so it kind of made sense that it was our inaugural dinner.
Depending on how hungry we are, I typically serve these skewers with a grain like rice, quinoa or farro, or alongside a simple salad. Often I switch up the veggies too depending on what’s in season and in my fridge, but I love the combination of onions, red pepper, zucchini and mushrooms.
Chicken is usually my protein of choice, but these skewers would be awfully tasty with steak or shrimp as well. Or a combination of all three!
If a recipe like this isn’t already on regular rotation during the summer months, it’s time you fix that.
What’s your go-to summer meal?
Grilled Lemon-Cilantro Chicken and Veggie Skewers
For the marinade:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup soy sauce (60 ml)
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 ml)
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
For the skewers:
- 1 lb chicken , cut into 1-inch cubes (455 grams)
- 1 medium zucchini , sliced
- 1 red bell pepper , cut into cubes
- 1 small red onion , cut into wedges
- 2 cups crimini, baby bella or button mushrooms , halved (155 grams)
- 2 lemons , halved
- Additional cilantro , for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil, salt, pepper and cilantro. Add the chicken and all vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Place chicken and vegetables on metal or wood skewers. Brush lemon halves with marinade. Cook skewers on grill until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are softened, about 3-4 minutes on each side. While the skewers are cooking, place the lemons cut side-down on the grill for a few minutes until charred.
- Squeeze grilled lemons over skewers and serve as desired with a salad, rice, quinoa, etc. Garnish with additional cilantro.