Creamy Grilled Corn Pasta
Creamy pasta with grilled corn, feta cheese, fresh basil and grilled scallions makes for one satisfying summer dish.
This summer will go down in history as The Summer of Corn. My toddler cannot get enough corn on the cob and I’m having trouble keeping it stocked in our fridge. I think he’d eat one or two ears for every meal if he could.
I might too, come to think of it. Fresh corn is one of my favorite things about summer!
This time of year you’ll find corn in almost anything from salads to salsas, and cooked on the cob with every topping imaginable. But why do we not see it in more hot pasta dishes? Corn + pasta is so underrated.
You must give this pasta recipe a try asap. It’s rich and creamy, but not too heavy. And the grilled corn adds a nice crunch and summertime freshness. It’s easy enough for a weeknight meal, but also impressive enough for weekend guests.
baking tip:How to remove corn kernels from the cob
Place an ear of corn on its end into the center hole of a bundt cake pan. Starting at the top and working your way down, use a gentle sawing motion with a sharp knife to remove the kernels. Using a bundt cake pan keeps the kernels from scattering everywhere. If you don’t have a bundt cake pan, invert a small bowl inside a larger bowl. For a visual, check out this video.
Creamy Corn Pasta
- 1 lb orecchiette, bowtie or pasta with similar shape (455 grams)
- 5-6 ears corn on the cob
- 1 small bunch scallions , roots trimmed
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil (90 ml)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (80 ml)
- ½ cup grams crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh basil
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Brush corn and scallions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill corn about 2 minutes on each side, until grill marks are visible. Scallions will need just 1 minute per side. Use a sharp knife to remove corn kernels from the cob.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
- In the same pot, add the remaining olive oil, heavy cream and reserved pasta water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 minutes until thickened.
- Add the cooked pasta and corn kernels, and adjust seasonings as needed. Remove from heat and top with feta cheese and basil. Serve immediately with the grilled scallions on the side.