Frozen bananas on a stick covered in chocolate, salted caramel, and chopped walnuts make a wonderful summertime treat!
This recipe was developed in partnership with Diamond of California.
Summer is my favorite time of the year. Family road trips, afternoons at the pool, backyard BBQs with friends – I love it all. But right around this time the heat really starts to wear on me. And so I kind of call it quits in the kitchen and I try to keep my cooking and baking to a minimum.
My fridge is currently stocked with ready-to-eat produce and snacks and the freezer is overloaded with so many tasty frozen treats to help us beat the heat. We’ve got popsicles, ice cream, and my new favorite— frozen bananas.
Frozen bananas are great for so many reasons. First of all, I feel much better indulging in a frozen banana than I do a bowl of ice cream. I still get my sweet fix, for sure, but with a little less guilt.
Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, frozen bananas are a cinch to prepare! All you need are some ripe but firm bananas, chocolate, coconut oil, and pretty much any topping you can think of. This time I went with salted caramel and chopped walnuts because I love the sweet and salty combo and nuts are just always a good idea. Diamond of California Shake & Spoon Finely Diced Walnuts are perfect for this recipe, it helps keep it super simple!
Guys, these little nut containers are awesome! I keep them handy to sprinkle on everything from ice cream to salads, plus they’re great for snacking on the go. They come with us on road trips, to the pool, and even on the trail.
Whether you’re trying to keep cool from the summer heat or are just looking for a delicious but healthier treat to share with friends and family— or both!— these chocolate covered frozen bananas with salted caramel and chopped walnuts are exactly what you need.
Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas with Walnuts and Caramel
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) butter
- 1/4 cup 53 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
To assemble frozen bananas:
- 4 large bananas, halved
- 1 cup (5 ounces, 140 grams) chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (56 grams) Diamond of California Finely Diced Walnuts
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (above)
- 8 wooden skewers or popsicle sticks
To make the caramel sauce:
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and salt in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool slightly.
To assemble frozen bananas:
- Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a shallow bowl or lipped plate and microwave on high in 30 second bursts, stirring after each. Stop when a few lumps of chocolate remain and stir until smooth.
- Insert the skewers or sticks into the bottom of each banana half. Dip in the chocolate. Let the excess chocolate drip off, then place on the prepared sheet pan. Drizzle with the caramel sauce and sprinkle with walnuts.
- When all bananas are assembled, Covered with plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour before serving. Well-wrapped frozen bananas will keep in the freezer for up to 1 week. Store leftover caramel sauce in the fridge.
Have you tried this recipe?
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Diamond of California as part of a long-term culinary ambassadorship. Thank you for supporting partnerships with brands I love and believe in, which make Completely Delicious possible. All opinions are always 100% my own.