Also known as cake balls, but think that name is a little too beneath these adorable treats. So I will call them cake truffles.
I first took notice of these cupcake pops on Bakerella several months ago. How cute are they? But I immediately dismissed them as something far and above my creative abilities and didn’t think about it again until Dee of The Pioneer Woman Cooks blogged about it. She had Bakerella over and together they put together a very detailed tutorial. They make it look so easy! The cupcake pop begins as a little cake ball, and I thought that I should start with that.
To sum up my experience with the cake truffles, I’d say that they are very simple to make, yet very time consuming. I worked on mine over a three day period, although now that I have the hang of it I probably could do it in half the time. I also made two batches, mostly because I wanted to have more than one flavor, so I had a lot of truffles to work with. I chose strawberry and lemon because I thought they’d go well with Easter, and while they were good, I think I’ll try different flavors next time to compare.
- 1 box cake mix , plus ingredients to bake cake
- 1 container prepared frosting
- Melting chocolate
- Prepare cake as instructed. Cool the cake completely (I did it overnight) and them crumble it. You should be left with a big pile of crumbs.
- Next, add the frosting and mix to incorporate (Note: I added the frosting about a 1/2 cup at a time, and good thing I did too because I only ended up needing just over a cup and not the whole container. The amount of frosting probably depends on the cake you use as brands vary). The mix should be uniform and slightly sticky, but not complete mush.Roll into bite-sized balls and chill for several hours.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl and dip each ball in individually. Allow to set on parchment paper, which only takes a few minutes. Decorate as desired.Like I said, this is the most basic instructions and if you plan on making these, I highly encourage you to look at the links. They have a lot of very helpful (and necessary) tips.