Not your average rice krispie treats, these are made with brown butter!
I know what you’re thinking. Rice Krispie Treats? But these little gems combine two fantastic things— brown butter and a fool-proof quick and easy recipe. And an easy recipe is exactly what the doctor’s ordered these days. For my first sweet venture in the kitchen post-baby I wanted to keep things uncomplicated, and itt sure doesn’t get much less complicated than rice krispie treats.
It had been years since I made these, and I think I’d written them off as not being worth my time. But when I saw a variation with brown butter making the rounds on the internet, I figured now was the perfect time to finally try it for myself.
Anyone who’s been following this blog for long knows that I’m sucker for anything with brown butter. I wish the flavor was a little more prominent, and in the future I may make some changes so that it is. Still, these treats were very tasty. Perhaps I shouldn’t admit that I devoured half of the pan immediately, with babe in arms? I’m thinking rice krispie treats should be part of my regular diet.
Easy as they are to make, it’s incredible how long it took me to make and photograph these treats. One afternoon, two feedings, a nap and several diaper changes later and I was finally done. Yep, having a baby definitely changes everything. I’m starting to get the hang of being a Mom though, and I’m looking forward to something a little more adventurous next time!
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 10 ounces (1 package, about 40) marshmallows
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Continue to cook the butter over low heat until it turns caramel in color. Be careful not to let it burn. Add the marshmallows and stir occasionally until marshmallows are completely melted. Remove pan from heat and add the cereal, stirring until mixture is completely combined.
- Use a greased spatula to transfer the rice krispies into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Let cool and then slice into 2 inch squares.
- Store rice krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Have you tried this recipe?