Quick and easy flatbread pizzas topped with slow cooker BBQ pulled pork, avocados, scallions and cilantro make for a great weeknight meal.
Some days I love to be in the kitchen, chopping veggies and stirring stuff on the stove, etc., but on other days making dinner is the last thing I want to do. And on those days I resist the urge to text my husband to have him pick up takeout on his way home from work, and instead I get creative.
Dinner doesn’t really have to be that hard! Some meals really can be thrown together in just a few minutes with minimal effort. Like this super quick and easy flatbread pizza. It’s saved me more times than one.
Okay, so the BBQ pulled pork does require a little bit of planning. But it’s definitely worth it! And the prep time is less than 10 minutes, with your slow cooker taking care of the hard work while you go about your day.
Plus, if you happen to already have some pulled pork and are looking for ideas to use up the leftovers, then this recipe is perfect for you! Weeknight dinner just doesn’t get any easier than this.
I love the combo of BBQ pork + avocados + cilantro, but feel free to get creative with whatever you like and whatever you have in your kitchen. Fresh tomatoes and/or peppers would make a great addition. So would red onions in place of the scallions.
You just really can’t go wrong piling a few of your favorite ingredients on top of already-made flatbread and some cheese. After a few minutes in the oven, you’ll have a pizza that’s just as good as homemade.
BBQ Pulled Pork and Avocado Flatbread Pizzas
BBQ Pulled Pork:
- 3-4 lb (1.3-1.8 kg) pork shoulder/butt, boneless or bone-in
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (237 ml) chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
- 2 naan or greek flatbreads
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (113 grams) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 cups BBQ pulled pork
- Additional BBQ sauce (optional)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To prepare the BBQ pulled pork:
- Add the onions and garlic to a large slow cooker. Place the pork roast on top and add chicken stock or water. Sprinkle the salt, pepper and brown sugar on top of the pork. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on High for 6-7 hours or Low for 7-9 hours, or until pork is tender and shreds easily.
- Remove pork from the slow cooker and set aside. Remove liquids and solids from slow cooker and discard or reserve for another use. Use two forks to shred the pork, removing any excess fat and bones.
- Return the pork to the slow cooker and add BBQ sauce. Toss to combine. Keep slow cooker on Low until ready to use.
To assemble the flatbread pizzas:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place flatbreads on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush flatbreads with olive oil, then top with cheese and BBQ pork. Add additional BBQ sauce, if desired. Bake until cheese is melted and edges of the flatbread begin to turn brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with avocado slices, scallions and cilantro before serving. If desired, season with additional salt and pepper.
Have you tried this recipe?