Tangerine Sorbet Champagne Floats

The tables have turned. I’m no longer going to settle for a shot of booze in my banana bread or a heavy handed splash in a key lime tart. I’m a fan of liquoring up my desserts, but I think I’m going to do things different from now on.

A little dessert with my drink, now this is where it’s at.

Tangerine Sorbet Champagne Floats

Tangerine Sorbet Champagne Floats

The inspiration for this dessert came from Pinterest, as so many good ideas do these days. I took an idea and I ran with it, and ended with this tangerine champagne sorbet served in a glass of champagne. Something similar has probably been done before, maybe thousands of times, but not by me. And it blew me away.

Here’s an ice cream float for grown ups, perfect for a dinner party with friends. The citrus sorbet shines even brighter with sparking wine and the whole dessert is light, bubbly, and fun. I think my New Year’s Eve just got a little more awesome.

Tangerine Sorbet Champagne Floats

Making ice cream and sorbets without an ice cream machine

I love my ice cream machine, and I encourage you to get one if you can. But if you don’t have one, you can still enjoy ice cream and sorbets made at home.

1. Chill your ice cream or sorbet mixture completely.
  2. Place the mixture in a chilled freezer-friendly dish in the freezer.
  3. Every 45 minutes, break up any frozen chunks around the edges with a spatula or whisk. Make sure that all chunks are completely removed and mixture is smooth.
  4. The mixture will become thicker each time you check on it, until eventually you have a uniformly smooth frozen ice cream or sorbet.

Tangerine Sorbet Champagne Floats

Tangerine Sorbet Champagne Floats

Yield: Approximately 1 quart of sorbet, or 6 floats

Tangerine Sorbet Champagne Floats

A light fruity sorbet of fresh tangerine juice and champagne, served in a glass of chilled champagne.

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) fresh tangerine juice
  • 1/2 cup (125 ml) sparkling wine
  • 3/4 cup (150 grams) sugar
  • Additional sparkling wine, for serving

Instructions

1. In a small saucepan, heat the sparkling wine and 1/2 cup of the tangerine juice. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Place the mixture in a bowl and add the remaining tangerine juice. Chill completely in the fridge.
  2. Fresh the mixture in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Sorbet will be soft. Place the sorbet in the freezer for several hours to firm up.
  3. To serve, scoop the sorbet into wine glasses or champagne flutes. Pour champagne over the sorbet. Serve immediately.

Note: I used Minneola Tangelos but any kind of tangerine, or any other orange citrus could be used.

30 Responses to Tangerine Sorbet Champagne Floats

1. Hi Annalise,

I just found your blog through Twitter. I love to bake and cook too and also blog about it.

This tangerine champagne drink really looks delicious.

Thanks for sharing this :)

2. kate says:

Have a little dessert with your wine, that’s a good way to go! I bet raspberry sorbet would be good also. I think this is exactly the reason I need to spend my Christmas gift certificates on an ice cream maker, even if it is winter!

3. carrian says:

I’ll just use sparkling cider and boom, new year’s eve drinks for the kiddos. Love this idea!

What a great way to make it kid friendly! You can also substitute the champagne in the sorbet recipe with additional tangerine juice.

4. Stunning, absolute stunning! I love everything about this post – the idea of “a little dessert with my drink”, the recipe itself and your photos, which are more beautiful every time I visit your blog.

5. A lovely and light dessert, I did something similar last year with champagne and raspberry lychee sorbet and it was a big hit at my house.

Thanks Sylvie! I absolutely adore your blog and I confess it was an image of your raspberry lychee sorbet I saw floating around on Pinterest that set the idea for this dessert in motion. So double thank you!

6. Aggie says:

What a refreshing and gorgeous cocktail! I’m loving the tangerine sorbet!

7. Katie says:

I love this idea! I have three half-batches of sorbet floating around in my freezer, and I think I’ve just found a way to finish them up.

8. Heather says:

These look absolutely amazing. In fact, I’m not sure I have ever wanted anything more than I want this right now. :)

9. Sues says:

Dessert with your drink is definitely the way to go! These look prefect :)

10. Carla says:

Hi, I’d like to know the name of your ice cream machine. Tks!

11. Margaret Spainhower says:

I followed your recipe but cheated and used Simply Orange/Mango juice that I had in the frig infused a few fresh rosemary sprigs — FANTASTIC! (When the strawberries are ripe this summer, I’ll try this again with fresh basil; next Christmas I’ll use cranberry juice with fresh mint; endless possibilities.) Thanks for posting!

12. Gorgeous drink. I can’t wait to try it. Too bad Cara Cara season has passed. I must remember to try this next winter.

13. This looks amazingly delicious. Pinning!

14. I am enjoying a strawberry version of this, right this very moment! Now I need to make some tangerine sorbet to try out your recipe…yum!!

15. Zina says:

You are my hero for the day. I cannot wait to try this. Yummmmm.

By the way, I came across your image on Pinterest and noticed that it is not sourced correctly. It actually goes to this site: http://www.kathryngreeleydesigns.com/blog/2013/06/simple-pleasures-little-luxuries-champagne-for-summer/4e3948af911a2783db45743eb5168130/

I was able to search some terms and find you, but you might consider filing a DMCA complaint!

16. Lourdes Alvarez says:

What a great idea. Can’t wait to impress my friends with this fabulous drink!!!

17. Hi Annalise,

I love this recipe!!! Can I place a link on my website? It’s a podcast and website catered to pregnant women. We would amend the recipe with non-alcoholic sparkling wine of course!

Let me know!

Anabell

Of course! You are welcome to link to my site for the recipe and even use a photo with credit. Please do not post the full recipe. Thanks!

18. Thank you so much Annalise! Will do :)

19. An says:

Dear Annalise,

It looks great! Can I use your photo in marketing collateral? I will mention your name as the author of the photos (i.e. photos by Annalise). Many thanks for sharing this! Regards, An.

Hi An, you are welcome to use a photo with credit to Annalise Sandberg and a link back to the recipe on my blog. Thanks!