Lime blackberry fool

This week my husband and I are traveling to The Outer Banks of North Carolina for a wedding. As I’ve mentioned before, not only are we attending the wedding, but I am also baking the wedding cake on location. It’s bound to be an adventure, one that I look forward to sharing with you when it’s all over. Assuming I survive the experience, of course.

Building a wedding cake always seems like an insurmountable task, one that has me in a near-panic attack state for weeks. In the end all you can do is cross your fingers and hope all your planning and hard work pays off. Those of you who do this for a living, I don’t know how you do it.

limes and blackberries

whipped cream

This little vacation also kicks off our summer, a summer that I now hope is full of plenty of fool. A berry fool is a dessert whose name comes from the French word fouler, which means “to crush”. I love this dessert for two reasons. One— it is possibly the easiest dessert you will ever make. It just doesn’t get simpler than smashed berries folded into whipped cream.

Blackberry lime foold

And two— it does not require an oven, stove top, or any heat of any kind. And since I live in a house that still is without air conditioning, this is a big bonus. I foresee many versions of this treat coming out of my kitchen in the next few months.

That’s another great thing about this recipe, it’s completely adaptable. I love the combination of flavors in this blackberry lime fool, but feel free to change it up based on your preferences and what seasonal ingredients you have on hand. Any and all of the berries and liquids can be substituted for just about anything— strawberries, raspberries, peaches, you name it. It’s beautiful served in clear glasses, but would also be lovely served as an accompaniment to a slice of cake.

Lime blackberry fool

Do me a favor and don’t dismiss this simple dessert. To do so would be foolish, and nobody wants to be a fool. So eat some instead!

Lime blackberry fool

Blackberry Lime Fool
Adapted from William Sonoma Desserts
Makes 4 servings

1 1/2 cup blackberries
1/3 cup sugar
Zest of one lime
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon Creme de Cassis liqueur (optional)
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Combine 1 cup of the blackberries with the sugar in a bowl. Using a fork, smash the berries until they are jam-like and mostly pureed. Add the remaining 1/2 cup blackberries. Stir in the lime zest, lime juice, salt, and creme de cassis if using. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the cream on medium high speed to firm peaks. Fold into the chilled blackberry mixture with a rubber spatula until just incorporated.

Spoon into serving glasses and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Garnish with additional blackberries and slices of lime, if desired.

Print this recipe

16 Responses to Lime Blackberry Fool

1. Jamie says:

Mmm… it really would be foolish not to make this dessert over and over again! Also, your plating is quite pretty.

2. Priya says:

Fantastic dessert, tempts me a lot..

3. Erika Beth, the Messy Chef says:

Wow wow wow! After melting in my kitchen this weekend, I think this is the perfect dessert for me to make next. And the Creme de Cassis liqueur should be mandatory, not optional.

4. Alisa Fleming says:

This is fantastic! I'm definitely going to trial this dairy-free. Shouldn't be too hard, and so refreshing and indulgent!

5. Chef in Training says:

this looks so good! oh wow! I happened to stumble across your blog and I LOVE it! I love making new blog friends, especially ones with awesome recipes! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki

6. Rach and Me says:

Looks delicious! I can't wait to try it! Texas summers are brutal, and this looks like the perfect cool treat.

7. megan @ whatmegansmaking says:

this looks so good, and so easy! Great for summer :)

8. Charissa says:

One of my favourite desserts, but I've never tried it with blackberries…I think I would go for the chocolate…with blackberries. Who says we can't have it all? :)

9. Zainab says:

Wow! lovely pics..its my first time here!!…love ur clicks!

10. RachelSmiles says:

looks amazing! I'm definitely putting blackberries on my shopping list!

Thanks for the recipe!!!

3/ means three cups, yes ?

13. megan says:

I know, I was curious about the 3/ as well! 3/4 could be way different from 3 cups!! This looks SO GOOD and I just want to make sure I have the recipe right before I make it!

14. Annalise says:

Sorry for the confusion everyone! I've fixed the recipe to reflect the correct amounts.

15. [...] Blackberry Fool or Honey Yogurt Pops [...]