Sometimes I think that I enjoy all (or at least most) sweets equally, but then I have a piece of cake. And I’m reminded that cake is, and always will be, my most favorite thing in the world. Or at least in the world of food.

I usually prefer a slice of cake to a cupcake, but there is something great about peeling the wrapper off of a cupcake and opening your mouth wide for a bite. The messy awkwardness of it all is most of the fun.

These particular cupcakes happened almost by accident.

A friend of mine is getting married in a few months and has asked me to make her wedding cake, something that I’m honored and excited to do. But it’s also a bit challenging in that She lives in Virginia, I live in Utah, and the wedding is taking place in North Carolina. Thank goodness the beach house they rented for the week comes with two kitchens! And thank goodness Southwest allows you two checked bags for free.

This week I sent my friend and her fiancée some samples of cakes and icings. It was a little crazy in my kitchen Sunday afternoon getting everything baked and ready for shipping. I could only scale down the recipes so much, and so with the leftover batter I made cupcakes. Lots and lots of cupcakes.

Good thing I love cake!

The pairing of the chocolate cupcakes with the raspberry buttercream was a no-brainer. The chocolate cupcakes come from my favorite chocolate cake recipe (also demonstrated in this video) and the raspberry buttercream was an adaptation of my standard buttercream recipe. I added in some unsweetened raspberry puree, hoping that it would be as great as I imagined it to be.

It was better.

The raspberry flavor was surprisingly strong, it tasted just like what you’d hope raspberry flavored buttercream would taste like. Plus it’s a very lovely pink color. I loved the buttercream with the dark chocolate flavor of the cupcakes.

Pretty and delicious, this recipe is a winner for sure.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream
Cupcakes adapted from Sky High Cakes
Makes 30 cupcakes

2 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with liners.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the cake flour, sugar, cocoa powder, ground cinnamon, and salt on low speed until combined. Add the butter and buttermilk and mix on low until moistened. Raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Whisk the eggs and coffee together in a bowl, and add to the mixer in 3 additions, scraping down the bowl and beating only until blended after each addition.

Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then pop them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Frost with the raspberry buttercream.

Raspberry Buttercream

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup raspberry puree, seeds removed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter and shortening until combined. Add the powdered sugar, raspberry puree, vanilla, and salt and mix until smooth.

Print this recipe

19 Responses to Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream

1. Priya says:

So pretty and wonderful looking cupcakes..

2. Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum says:

Heavy on the raspberry buttercream, please!! :)

3. Shannon says:

Raspberry and Chocolate go so well together!! It's magical. These look amazing!

4. Erika Beth, the Messy Chef says:

Wow! I think I'm drooling at my desk job. These look delicious and are frosted so lovely!

5. paddle attachment says:

These do look simple and yummy! I love using fruit purees in butter cream. A friend has requested a cake surprisingly similar to your raspberry cupcakes for her birthday next week. I may be copying recipe verbatim! Good luck with the wedding cake! I can't wait to see the "in production" photos.

6. Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) says:

Yum! I hope your friends enjoyed their samples. I love the natural bright pink colour combo with the darkness of the chocolate cupcakes.

7. Jackie says:

How beautiful are these?! I'm in a total baking mood at the moment. I'm going to have to find a special occasion to make these… or else, y'know, just whenever I'm hungry… oooh, my best friend's coming at the weekend, maybe then :D

Jax x

8. Shani says:

That raspberry buttercream is one of the best things I've ever tasted – yum!

9. Connie @ it's the cookie monster! says:

raspberry buttercream?! sounds delicious!

10. monica says:

wonderful. beautiful, …delicious….. I'll try for this Saturday dinner..

11. [...] lovely natural chocolatey flavor.  The icing is a raspberry buttercream recipe that I found here: http://www.completelydelicious.com/2011/04/chocolate-cupcakes-with-raspberry-buttercream.html but made some minor modifications to. Mainly the modifications were increasing the amount of [...]

12. …Trackback: More Informations on that topic…

[...]you made running a blog glance[...]…

13. Jantien says:

We don’t have such a thing as ‘shortening’, can I use butter instead?

14. Lauren24 says:

Omg these look beautiful
    And the buttercream sounds amazing
    I can’t wait for the next holiday because
    I’m making these for sure!!!

15. Melanie says:

At which stage did you at the baking soda. It does not say in the instructions. I know some recipes call for baking soda to be dissolved in vinegar, is that the case in this recipe?

16. Tiffany Wang says:

Thank you for sharing your recipe. I’m new to baking. If I want to double the recipe to get 60 cupcakes, do I double up all the ingredients here? Or do I need to make it in two batches?

Thank you.

17. Lena says:

Are these smaller 5 cm or larger 7.5 cm cupcakes? Thank you!