I was supposed to share this recipe with you days ago, but I’ve been a little distracted. I’ve spent the last several nights up late completely engrossed in The Girl Who Played with Fire, the second book in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. I couldn’t put it down! And so instead of blogging, I was curled up in bed reading.

It’s the beginning of the year and one unofficial goal of mine was to blog more regularly. Well we’re only on day five and I’m not off to a great start. Still, I can make it up to you right?

How about if I share these Clementine Buttermilk Scones with you?

Cuties

This time of year I always have a surplus of citrus. Whether they’re leftover from my Christmas stocking or I couldn’t resist the large display at the grocery store, I typically have oranges, clementines, or other such fruit laying around. They’re a delicious snack of course, but often some go bad before I have a chance to eat them up.

That’s why this year I was determined to not let my bag of clementines go to waste.

Fragrant zest

Scones fresh from the oven

What exactly is the difference between tangerines, clementines, and mandarin oranges? I’m not exactly sure. But I am confident that whatever you happen to have on hand will work beautifully for these scones. I just happened to have clementines to spare.

These scones may appear to be regular run-of-the-mill scones, but don’t be fooled by their plain appearance. They’re full of fresh citrus flavor and topped with a sweet citrus glaze. The scones are not overly sweet, and although I did consider upping the sugar in the recipe here, I decided against it. I like their simplicity and the fact that they don’t taste like they belong in the dessert category.

It helps me feel less guilty when I have them for breakfast. Which I did, with coffee, and it was delicious.

Ready to be glazed

Admittedly, it may be a while before you hear from me again. I’ll be starting The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest soon (there’s a cliffhanger I’ve got to see resolved) and who knows when I’ll resurface. Make yourself some of these scones, and please forgive me.

Clementine Buttermilk Scones*
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Makes 10 scones

1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon clementine zest
3 tablespoons clementine juice, freshly squeezed, divided
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Egg wash
1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the all purpose flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the citrus zest. Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or fork until the butter is the size of peas.

In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and 1 tablespoon of citrus juice. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon just until the mixture comes together and all the dry bits are incorporated.

Pat out on a lightly floured surface to about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut out rounds and place on the prepared sheet pan about 2 inches apart. Brush the tops with eggwash. Bake until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the powdered sugar and remaining citrus juice to make a glaze. Cool the baked scones on a wire rack and spoon glaze over the tops while they’re still warm.

*Feel free to use oranges, tangerine, clementines, manadarin oranges, and even lemons or limes.

19 Responses to Clementine Buttermilk Scones

I have been on a Cutie kick. I can't get enough:) The scones are gorgeous!

2. Isabelle says:

I'm with you on that surplus of citrus at this time of year… we've got clementines and mandarins and oranges and lemons and grapfruits galore right now. Good thing I'm a total citrus-zest addict! I'm totally bookmarking these suckers.
    Gorgeous photos, BTW. I just want to reach through the screen and dunk my finger in one of those yummy little icing puddles in the first pic. :)

3. Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) says:

Ooh, these look wonderful Annalise! I'm with you on the reading obsession lately. I've never read the series you're reading but I have been tearing through "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett – A great read, I highly recommend it! Thanks for sharing these lovely scones. Next time I have a surplus of citrus I'll be sure to try them! :)

4. Roxan says:

Mmm, these clementine scones sound amazing! I haven't had a scone with a citrus kick to it before but I imagine it to be over the top delicious.

5. whisk-kid says:

Your scones look so perfect! Mine are always pathetically flat :P

6. I Heart Salt Lake says:

Yum!

7. Kasey says:

That book series is addictive! I found myself hating my train stop because it meant that I had to take a break from reading. Your scones look awesome–great way to use up some of the citrus I have laying around the house.

8. Megan says:

Oh my!! I just made these with lemom and ate one. Can I hid them from my man?? I want them all to myself! Amazing, easy, and a perfect treat to wake up to tomorrow! Thanks!!

9. Jackie says:

Now THAT, my dear, is a scone ;) You've done me proud, girl! Great job! Now go on, go back to your book, I know what it's like!

Jax x

10. ribbonspearls says:

These look delicious. I can't wait to try out this recipe! Thanks for sharing a great way to use leftover citrus.

11. squirrelbread says:

I also like when scones aren't too sweet. Gives you the option of eating it as is, or adding a jam, sweetened cream, etc. Nice rise they've got, too!

Cheers,

*Heather*

12. Erika Beth, the Messy Chef says:

Yes! Finally! I found a recipe to use the rest of my buttermilk. Thanks for posting. Now I feel like I also need to read those "Girl Who" books. :)

13. NicoleD says:

Beautiful scones! I have leftover buttermilk from my last scone adventure and I think these are calling my name :) Love your blog name, so cute.

14. Avril says:

Yum! What a refreshing idea of a scone…I must try this recipe as I too have a surplus of clemintines. :-)

15. Erika Beth, the Messy Chef says:

Annalise – I made these two weeks ago but finally got around to posting it today. They were so good! I made mini versions: http://lifestooshorttoskipdessert.blogspot.com/2011/02/clementine-weekend-mini-clementine.html

16. Natasha Aldum says:

these sound so devine… i work at a guest house in DR CONGO and i really think my guests are going to love these as much as i am going to love making them.

17. Simone Ilgmann says:

Great scones. I’m a first timer and I loved them. Took lemon though because I was out of clementines.

18. [...] adapted from Completely Delicious, makes 6 generous [...]

19. […] Completely Delicious – Clementine Buttermilk Scones How bright and sunny would these be on a Sunday […]