My, oh my!

If you like pecan pie, then you’re going to love these. There’s a layer of pecans, held in place by caramel, atop a layer of crumbly shortbread. And when I say a layer of pecans, let me clarify that there are more pecans per square inch on this dessert than you’ve seen in your wildest dreams.

Those of you with nut allergies, I sincerely apologize that you have to miss out on this.

And the rest of you, don’t worry about all those pecans, it works out beautifully. The pecans are a nice nutty balance to the sweet caramel. The soft crust provides a nice contrast to the crunch of the nuts and does a great job holding this wonderful sticky mess together.

These bars were simple to make and well worth the minimal effort. They would be a lovely addition to your Thanksgiving meal spread, a nice alternative to the standard pecan pie. They’re a crowd pleaser for sure, I can guarantee that!

Caramelized Pecan Squares
From Avoca Tea Time
Makes about 24 squares

1 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into one inch cubes
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons cream
3 1/2 cups pecans, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and line with parchment paper, if desired.

Mix the flour and sugar together in a bowl. Add the cubed butter and cut into the flour mixture with a fork or pastry cutter until the butter is the size of small peas. Press into the prepared baking dish and bake until it just starts to turn golden brown, about 25 minutes.

In another bowl, mix together the melted butter, honey, brown sugar, and cream. Add the pecans and stir until all the pecans are coated. Pour on top of the baked crust and spread evenly. Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.

Cool completely before slicing.

14 Responses to Caramelized Pecan Squares

I love the caramelized topping!

2. Pretty. Good. Food. says:

This sounds perfect for a Thanksgiving treat! Great recipe :)

3. Taylor says:

I am making a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving dessert, and these would be a perfect addition to make the pecan pie lovers happy!

4. kelsigirl says:

I love pecans and sometimes have a hard time thinking of new ways to use them in desserts. Great idea!

5. Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) says:

These remind me of my Pecan Pie Bars, but they look about 10X more delicious and photogenic, haha. Your crust looks so buttery and soft, and that pecan filling looks nice and crunchy – a perfect combo! Thanks for sharing these, Annalise.

6. Heather says:

Oh my. These look so intensely delicious!! I'll have to try them out sometime, as I'm trying to overcome my fear of all things caramel. :)

7. Lizzy says:

I am nowhere close to having a nut allergy…I so love the sight of this

8. Alicia says:

You wanna make these for Thanksgiving?? Pretty please? haha.

9. kristin @ delishliving says:

Oh goodness. These are officially #1 on my Christmas Baking 2010 list! Amazing looking recipe.

10. Bake-A-Holic says:

You had me at, "My, oh my!" I'll be making these as soon as I get bulk pecans from Costco. If only I had one of these with my coffee…

11. Beth says:

These look amazing!

12. David says:

They look great! Gotta try this:)

13. bstuckey@me.com says:

Speaking of allergies, I have wheat/gluten/rice/corn. Cooking with almond or chestnut flour offers two alternatives: could you post a rough comparable measurement between all-purpose flour and those two? I could bake anything if I could count on proportion adjustment. Thanks.

(I am supposed to sensitize myself to those allergens so I can slowly begin to eat them again. And, except for wheat, which makes me itch for about 1.5 hours, I do take small amounts of the others. )

14. i9eafgd7 says:

Talous antaasekä tarjoaa [url=http://pikavippimaa.com/pikavippi/]pikavippi[/url] hyvälle.