Fresh from the oven

For the last several weeks I was of the understanding that Easter Sunday was on April 11th, this next Sunday. Last weekend I heard people talk about “what they were going to do for Easter next week” and I just thought they were all mistaken, all terribly wrong. Why I didn’t get suspicious when it appeared that I was the only one who had it right while everyone else was wrong, I don’t know.

Shaping the rolls

Finally, while talking to my Mom on my phone, she was able to convince me that it was I who was wrong, and that Easter actually would be on April 4th. Suddenly I had lost a whole week of Easter baking preparation and all my grand plans of posting recipes and ideas to help you plan your Easter meal were shattered. For that, I am sorry and I hope that you all had a lovely holiday.

While these Challah Rolls obviously won’t be appearing as part of your Easter feast, you definitely shouldn’t wait a whole year to try them.

This isn’t the first time I’ve posted a recipe for Challah. I did so about a year ago, but it’s so good that it deserves a second mention. I had been planning for months on serving these beautiful rolls as part of our Easter feast, but really it would be a fine accompaniment to any meal. It would make any nice meal just a little bit fancier, and more delicious. If there’s one thing this bread has going for it, it’s the flavor. You almost don’t even need butter or any other spread, it’s got so much flavor all on it’s own. I made a sandwich today from one of these rolls and some leftover ham and let me just say, wow.

If there’s a second thing these rolls have going for them, it’s that they are absolutely beautiful and look very impressive.

To turn Challah into rolls, simply portion the dough into 2 or 3 ounce balls. Then roll them out to be about ten inches long and tie the strand into a knot. Follow the rest of the recipe, allowing them to rise a little more before baking them for about 10 to 15 minutes.

View my original recipe for Challah Bread

14 Responses to Challah Rolls

1. Alexandra says:

I'm completely and utterly in love with your blog! Everything looks wonderful and yet, unpretentious, which is to me, the hallmark of a real kitchen and a true cook. I'm adding you to my blogroll! ^_^

2. Sarah says:

Wow. These look tooo good. I love the moistness of challah! These will definitely accompany the next meal I make.

3. Stroudster B says:

You can't serve Challa on Passover. It's hummitz (has leavening in it).

But now that passover is over it's all good. I definitely want to make these for hamburger buns.

4. Annalise says:

Stoudster B- thank you so much for correcting me! I've changed my post.

And they would make GREAT hamburger buns.

5. Jane says:

Beautiful indeed! These really are perfect challah rolls. Your photos are quite wonderful, too!

6. Memória says:

These rolls look lovely.

7. rookie cookie says:

You are right, they look absolutely beautiful. Nice work.

I have been scrolling through your blog. You have excellent photography. Someday when I grow up, I will get a nice camera and take better food pix.

8. Bonnie says:

You challah rolls are beautiful. We are baking our way through Healthy Bread In Five minutes a day. You should check out what we are doing. Welcome to te Hive.

9. Carrian says:

These look so beautiful. I can't wait to try them!!

10. Red Couch Recipes says:

Your challah rolls look wonderful. Joni

11. grace says:

although i've never made challah myself, i love eating it and i love saying the name the way it's meant to be said. challah rolls are quite a clever creation–bravo!

12. URL says:

… [Trackback]…

[...] There you will find 31406 more Infos: completelydelicious.com/2010/04/challah-revisted-as-challah-rolls.html [...]…

13. Wow, these cuties are just adorable! I have to make these :-)

14. [...] there was no recipe with these, we think a challah roll would be delicious! You could even dye the dough [...]