Coconut Veggie Rice Bowls
Coconut rice topped with lots of veggies, herbs, and a savory soy-lime dressing.
Veggie rice bowls:
- 1 cup jasmine rice (200 grams)
- 1 1/4 cup canned light coconut milk (310 ml)
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 4 cups chopped veggies (approximately 500 grams), see Note
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 3 green onions , chopped
- 1 small avocado , sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs like mint, basil or cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Combine the rice and coconut milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit (still covered) for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Heat coconut or olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add veggies and season with salt and pepper.
Cook for about 5 minutes until veggies are fork tender and slightly browned (cooking times will vary based on veggie you use).
Add green onions and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
To make the dressing, combine all ingredients and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
To serve, spoon rice and veggies into bowls. Add avocado, herbs, and sesame seeds. Drizzle with dressing.
Adapted from Love and Lemons.
- Almost any vegetable will work for this recipe— asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, etc. For even cooking, chop veggies to roughly the same size.
Calories: 392kcal, Carbohydrates: 54g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Sodium: 317mg, Potassium: 611mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 1303IU, Vitamin C: 16mg, Calcium: 80mg, Iron: 4mg