Classic Meat Lasagna
This classic meat lasagna is filled with layers of pasta, homemade meat sauce, and lots of ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ lb sausage
- ⅓ lb ground pork
- ⅓ lb ground beef
- ½ onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as basil, rosemary, or thyme , chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried, such as Italian seasoning)
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese , preferably whole milk ricotta
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil , chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- About 1 lb lasagna noodles , boiled till al dente or use "no-boil"
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese , shredded
- ½ cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil , for garnish
To Make Meat Sauce:
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to medium pot set over medium high heat. Add sausage, pork, and beef and cook until browned and almost done all the way through, about 5 minutes.
Add the chopped onion. Cook until onions are soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more until fragrant.
Pour crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce into the pan, along with the salt, pepper, and herbs.
Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until thickened slightly. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat.
To Assemble Lasagna:
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking or casserole dish.
In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with the basil, salt and pepper.
Spread a thin layer of meat sauce over the bottom of the pan. Top with a single layer of lasagna noodles, breaking a few as needed to cover entire pan. Dollop with ½ of the ricotta mixture and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese.
Repeat these layers one more time, using ½ of remaining meat sauce this time (not a thin layer).
Add one more layer of noodles. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Top with parmesan cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for about 35 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is lightly browned, 15-20 minutes more.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 week.
You likely will not need all 1 lb of lasagna noodles.
- While a combination of sausage, pork, and beef will produce a richer sauce, it is possible to use 1 lb of just one kind of meat.
- To make ahead: Assembled unbaked lasagna can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the fridge. Assembled unbaked lasagna can be frozen for up to 1 month, adding 10 minutes to the baking time. Baked lasagna can also be frozen for up to 1 month. Reheat in 350° for 30 minutes till warmed through.
Calories: 548kcal, Carbohydrates: 39g, Protein: 31g, Fat: 30g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 98mg, Sodium: 1223mg, Potassium: 615mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 947IU, Vitamin C: 9mg, Calcium: 439mg, Iron: 3mg