Salted Caramel Peanut Bars
Where cookie and candy bar combine! With a brown sugar blondie base, peanut butter nougat filling, and salted caramel topping.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temperature (113 grams)
- 2/3 cup light or dark brown sugar (140 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (180 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Peanut butter filling:
- 7 oz jar marshmallow cream (200 grams)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (135 grams)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (30 grams)
- 2/3 cup lightly salted peanuts (95 grams)
- 11 oz bag vanilla caramels , unwrapped (310 grams)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (60 ml)
- Coarse salt or flaky sea salt , for sprinkling
To make the blondie base:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch square pan with greased foil or parchment paper with overhanging sides.
With an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on high until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and add the egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix on low until combined. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Bake until edges are golden and center is set, 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely.
To make the caramel topping:
In a medium saucepan over medium low heat melt caramels with heavy cream until smooth. Alternatively, place both caramels and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 60 seconds. Stir. Continue to microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until smooth.
Immediately poor caramel over the top of the bars, using a spatula if needed to spread it evenly. Chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes until filling and topping are set.
Use overhanging foil or parchment to lift bars out the pan, and slice as desired. Bars are best stored in the fridge.
Calories: 279kcal, Carbohydrates: 39g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 26mg, Sodium: 153mg, Potassium: 148mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 26g, Vitamin A: 204IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 46mg, Iron: 1mg