Cheesy Herb Burger Buns
These homemade burger buns filled with Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs are guaranteed to elevate your next cookout!
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ½ cups bread flour (420 grams)
- 1 packet Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or cheese of your choice (100 grams)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary sage, thyme, and chives
- 1 large egg + 1 teaspoon water , beaten for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs
Combine the water, milk, and butter in a small saucepan and warm over medium low heat to 120-130 degrees F.
Meanwhile, combine 2 cups of the bread flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl if you plan to mix by hand.
Pour the warm water mixture into the bowl and stir with a dough whisk
or wooden spoon until combined.
Add the beaten eggs, cheese, and herbs and stir until combined.
Use dough hook to knead dough on low speed. Add the remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough comes together into a ball and begins to clear the sides of the bowl, but is still sticky to the touch. You may not need all of the flour.
Continue to knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Gently punch down dough and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape into rounds and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes more. Once or twice while rising, gently pat the tops of the buns, encouraging them to rise laterally.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the tops of the buns with the egg wash and bake until golden, about 10-12 minutes.
If desired, brush tops of the warm buns with melted butter and top with grated cheese and fresh herbs.
Buns are best enjoyed the day they are baked, but will keep at room temperature for 3 days.
- If you'd rather use dried herbs, decrease amount to 1 tablespoon.
- I like to use a digital kitchen scale to ensure all my buns are the same size.
- These buns freeze very well. Wrap tightly in foil and freeze for up to 1 month. Warm in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until warm.
Calories: 359kcal, Carbohydrates: 44g, Protein: 14g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 93mg, Sodium: 700mg, Potassium: 101mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 479IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 178mg, Iron: 1mg