Homemade Turkey Gravy
Making turkey gravy at home from turkey drippings is easy!
- Turkey drippings from roasted turkey
- 2-3 cups water or chicken/turkey broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper , to taste
Add 1 cup of water or chicken/turkey broth to the pan the turkey was roasted in and scrape up all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a whisk.
Carefully pour everything from the pan into a liquid measuring cup (preferably quart-size or larger if you have one). Add remaining water or chicken/turkey broth to equal 4 cups total.
Place the measuring cup into the freezer for a few minutes while you prepare the roux.
Add butter to a large skillet or saucepan and set over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until combined to make a thick paste or "roux". Let the mixture cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, until it turns a golden brown.
Remove pan drippings from the freezer and spoon the fat off the top of the measuring cup. A few minutes in the freezer should bring all the fat to the top of the cup and harden it a little, making it easier to skim off. If more time is needed, put it back in the freezer for a few minutes (and remove roux from heat if needed while you wait). The liquid fat can also be skimmed from the drippings without chilling in the freezer, if you prefer.
Slowly add the drippings to the roux while whisking constantly until all liquid has been added. Bring to a boil, continuing to whisk frequently. Boil for about 1 minute, until thickened. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Be sure to taste first, as often turkey drippings are very salty and you might not need to add much, if any.
Keep warm until ready to serve.
- A layer of liquid (water or broth) in the bottom of the roasting pan while the turkey roasts will prevent the drippings from burning. Check periodically and add more liquid as needed throughout baking time.
- If desired, strain drippings to remove any large pieces of herbs, turkey skin, etc that may have collected in the roasting pan.
- Yields 4 cups.
Calories: 29kcal, Carbohydrates: 2g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 6mg, Sodium: 143mg, Potassium: 24mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 66IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 2mg, Iron: 1mg