Easiest Sugar Cookies
These no-chill, no-roll cookies are the easiest you'll ever bake!
For the cookies:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (170 grams), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (112 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (270 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (113 grams), softened to room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar (450 grams), sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
To make the cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a bowl with a hand-held mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Add to the mixer and mix on low until combined. Mixture will be crumbly at first, but will eventually come together into a thick dough.
Roll into tablespoon-sized balls and place on the prepared sheet pan 2 inches apart. Use your hand or the bottom of glass to press the balls into thick disks.
Bake until bottoms just turn golden brown, about 11-13 minutes (see Notes). Let cool on the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a sheet pan to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
Beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of the milk until smooth and creamy. Add more milk 1 tablespoon at a time until spreadable consistency is reached. Add food coloring if using.
Frost cookies and decorate as desired.
- To roll and cut cookies into shapes: Do not chill. Roll out on a sheet of parchment paper to 1/4-inch thick. Place on sheet pan and freeze 15 minutes. Cut out shapes. Place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake. Baking time will vary based on cookie size.
- To make Almond Sugar Cookies: Substitute 1 teaspoon almond extract for the vanilla extract in the cookies. Omit vanilla in frosting and increase almond extract to 1/2 teaspoon.
- If you wait for the edges of the cookies turn brown, they are already a little overdone. What I do when I try a new cookie recipe is I bake one test cookie, checking it often. And then I bake the rest when I determine the correct baking time. These cookies turned out with a barely golden bottom at exactly 12 minutes in my oven.
Calories: 262kcal, Carbohydrates: 34g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 43mg, Sodium: 101mg, Potassium: 36mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 22g, Vitamin A: 407IU, Calcium: 8mg, Iron: 1mg