Salted Caramel Cheesecake
Classic cheesecake with graham cracker crust is silky smooth, ultra rich, and very creamy.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 2 cup graham cracker crumbs (215 grams, 14 full sheets crackers, almost 2 envelopes)
- 5 tablespoons butter (79 grams)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (38 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 24 ounces full-fat cream cheese , cubed and softened to room temperature (3 bricks, 680 grams)
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar (300 grams)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (24 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean , scraped (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 4 large eggs , at room temperature
- ¾ cup heavy cream , at room temperature
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup butter (56 grams, 4 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon flaky salt , plus more for sprinkling over cheesecake
To prepared the crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick baking spray.
Pulse graham crackers in food processor to crumbs (or place in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin). Add butter, sugar, salt, and cinnamon and pulse till combined.
Use the underside of a measuring cup to pack graham crackers into prepared pan in an even layer on the bottom and up 1 inch of the sides.
Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
To prepare filling:
Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Make sure top rack is in the center of the oven.
With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese together until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
Add sugar, flour, salt and vanilla bean seeds and beat until smooth and light, 2-3 minutes, stopping to scrape down the bowl at least 2 times. Mixture should be completely smooth with no lumps.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add heavy cream and mix until combined. Scrape down bowl as needed when adding eggs and cream.
Pour filling into cooled graham cracker crust and prepare for water bath (see Notes).
Set springform pan inside large roasting pan and place in oven. Fill roasting pan with hot water 1-2 inches up the sides of the springform pan.
Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours, until edges are set but center 2-3 inches wobble slightly when gently shaken. Top should be light golden brown (if yours browns too quickly, cover with foil while baking) and an instant thermometer inserted into the center reads about 155°F. Do not over bake!
Turn oven off and crack the door open. Let cheesecake cool in oven for 1 hour.
Transfer to a cooling rack on the counter and cool for another hour. Then transfer to fridge and chill for 4-8 hours or overnight (recommended).
To make caramel sauce:
Sprinkle sugar evenly on the bottom of a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Allow sugar to melt and caramelize, swirling as necessary to promote even caramelization. Do not stir. This will take about 10 minutes.
As soon as the caramel is dark amber in color, reduce heat to low, and gradually add the heavy cream while whisking constantly. Caramel will bubble violently.
Stir caramel sauce over low or medium heat until any clumps have dissolved and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in butter, then vanilla and salt. Cool to room temperature.
Pour about ½ cup of the caramel sauce over the chilled cheesecake, just so it generously covers the top. Let it set for a few minutes, then sprinkle with flaky salt.
Serve cheesecake immediately for caramel that will drip down the sides of slices, or chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes for firmer caramel. Drizzle more caramel sauce over slices if desired.
- To prepare for water bath: Cover bottoms and sides of springform pan with 2 layers of heavy duty foil (it's easier if done before pouring filling into the crust). Or you can set springform pan into 10-inch baking pan or a slow cooker liner (rolled down and left open at top) instead of lining with foil.
- To avoid cracks in your cheesecake, read tips in my classic cheesecake recipe and follow recipe instructions as written.
- Cheesecake will last in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Calories: 617kcal, Carbohydrates: 60g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 40g, Saturated Fat: 23g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 174mg, Sodium: 477mg, Potassium: 148mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 50g, Vitamin A: 1469IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 95mg, Iron: 1mg