The Ultimate Dinner Roll Recipe
Just one recipe is all you need to make homemade dinner rolls, with a variety of flavory combinations and shapes.
- ¾ cup milk (170 grams)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (56 grams)
- 3-3 ½ cups bread flour (360-420 grams)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons Platinum Yeast from Red Star (1 envelope, 7 grams)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (25 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg , beaten with 2 tablespoons water, for egg wash
In a small saucepan, combine the milk and butter. Warm over medium low heat until butter is melted. Cool for about 5 minutes, or until temperature is 120-130°F.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (or in a large bowl if planning to mix by hand), combine 2½ cups of the bread flour, the yeast, sugar and salt. Add the warm water mixture, followed by the eggs, mixing on low speed until incorporated.
Add the remaining bread flour 2 tablespoons at a time while mixing on medium low speed until dough almost clears the bowl and is only a slightly sticky to the touch (It's okay if some dough sticks to your fingers). You may not need all of the remaining flour, or you may need more than is called for. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes more.
Cover with plastic wrap and put in a warm place and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch down dough and let rest for a few minutes. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into balls or desired shape (see Notes).
Place in a 9x13-inch pan or quarter sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Spray some plastic wrap with non-stick cooking spray and place over the shaped buns/rolls. Return to a warm place and continue to rise for an additional 30 minutes until doubled.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Brush buns with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely on a wire rack.
Note: feel free to mix and match flavor variations as desired. For example, garlic-herb rolls, whole wheat and cheddar, etc.
- Honey Whole Wheat Rolls— replace 1½ cups of bread flour with whole wheat flour, sub granulated sugar for ¼ cup honey, and heat with milk and butter.
- Herb Rolls— add 1 tablespoon fresh (or 1 teaspoon dried) herbs like rosemary, thyme or a combination to the dry ingredients.
- Cheddar Rolls— stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese to the dough once it has been initially mixed, before adding additional flour.
- Garlic Rolls— add 2 cloves of minced garlic to the butter and milk as they heat.
- “Everything” Spice Rolls— a 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning to the dry ingredients. Additional spice may be sprinkled over the rolls before baking.
Calories: 258kcal, Carbohydrates: 39g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 73mg, Sodium: 467mg, Potassium: 113mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 234IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 28mg, Iron: 1mg