Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Asian-inspired beef and broccoli stir fry is quick and easy to make, delicious, and even better than take-out!
- 1 lb beef for stir fry
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons cornstarch , divided
- ¼ cup oyster sauce , preferred (or soy sauce, see Notes)
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil , or vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 large head of broccoli , cut into small florets
- ¼ cup sliced green onions (2 green onions)
Toss sliced beef with baking soda and 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to tenderize the beef.
Whisk together the oyster sauce, beef broth, remaining 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and fresh garlic until smooth. Set aside.
Heat sesame oil in a skillet over medium high heat and cook broccoli until slightly browned and mostly tender, stirring often, 5-6 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add more oil to the skillet and cook beef until browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally so beef really has time to brown, 7-8 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and return broccoli to the skillet along with the sauce. Stir until beef and broccoli are evenly coated in the sauce, the sauce has thickened slightly, and any bits of meat stuck to the pan have been released, 1-2 minutes.
Stir in green onions or leave sprinkled on top as a garnish.
Serve with steamed rice, or as desired.
- Look for "beef for stir fry" at your grocery store, or slice your own. Start with flank steak or beef chuck steak, remove any excess fat, and slice thinly against the grain.
- Oyster sauce is preferred for this recipe as it has a savory and slightly sweet Asian flavor. Soy sauce can also be used, but increase cornstarch in the sauce to 2 tablespoons.
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil will produce a strong flavor. If desired, use 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. You can also use all vegetable oil for less flavor.
Sodium: 893mg, Calcium: 107mg, Vitamin C: 137mg, Vitamin A: 1009IU, Sugar: 3g, Fiber: 4g, Potassium: 900mg, Cholesterol: 68mg, Calories: 294kcal, Saturated Fat: 3g, Fat: 13g, Protein: 29g, Carbohydrates: 15g, Iron: 3mg