Cheesy Corn Chowder
This cheesy corn chowder is very creamy and veggie-packed, not to mention delicious and super cozy! Adding gouda, cheddar, or montery jack cheese takes this classic soup recipe to a whole new level.
- 5 strips bacon , roughly chopped
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk (any %)
- 2 cups chopped potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn (3-4 ears of corn if using fresh)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt , or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper , or to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheese , such as gouda, cheddar, or monterey jack
Place bacon in a heavy bottomed stock pot and set over medium heat. Cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain and cool. Remove all but 1-2 tablespoons of bacon grease from the pot.
Add the onion to the stock pot and reduce temperature to low. Cook until onions are softened but not browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and stir until vegetables are well coated.
Add the chicken or vegetable broth to the pot along with the milk. Add potatoes, corn, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, 15-20 minutes.
Add shredded cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Stir bacon into soup just before serving, or keep bacon on the side to add as a topping.
Store leftover soup in the fridge to enjoy for several days. This soup tastes better as it sits!
Calories: 266kcal, Carbohydrates: 24g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 37mg, Sodium: 1175mg, Potassium: 324mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 601IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 216mg, Iron: 1mg