Chicken and Veggie Tin Foil Dinners
These delicious chicken and veggie tin foil dinners are a complete meal wrapped up in foil and cooked over a fire, on the grill, or in the oven.
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins or sliced chicken breasts
- 1 medium zucchini , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 lb gold potatoes , chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs , like basil, thyme, rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 4 tablespoons Challenge Salted Butter , cubed
- Salt and pepper , as needed
Measure 4 sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil to about 18 inches. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Layer chicken and veggies in a mound into the center of each sheet of foil, dividing ingredients evenly between all 4 sheets.
Top with cubes of butter (1 tablespoon for each sheet of foil) and fresh herbs.
Season heavily with salt and pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon of salt for each packet.
Fold edges of foil over and crimp tightly to seal. If cooking on grill or fire, consider double wrapping to prevent tears in foil.
To cook on fire: Wait till fire has turned to coals and spread logs out to heat is as even as possible. Cook on logs for about 20 minutes, flipping and rotating as needed to promote even cooking, until meat is cooked through and veggies are soft. To cook on grill: Preheat grill to medium heat, about 400° and cook for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until meat is cooked through and veggies are soft. To cook in oven: Preheat oven to 400°F and cook for 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and veggies are soft.
Carefully open up foil packets as the steam inside is very hot. You can eat straight out of the foil or dump contents onto a plate.
- To ensure ingredients cook evenly, cut vegetables into roughly 1 inch pieces. I usually cut zucchini and peppers a little larger, and potatoes a little smaller to compensate for the differences in cooking times.
- To make ahead: Prepare as directed and store in the fridge for up to a few days. Foil dinners can also be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw in fridge or cooler before cooking.
Sodium: 243mg, Calcium: 30mg, Vitamin C: 71mg, Vitamin A: 1446IU, Sugar: 3g, Fiber: 4g, Potassium: 1088mg, Cholesterol: 103mg, Calories: 335kcal, Saturated Fat: 8g, Fat: 15g, Protein: 27g, Carbohydrates: 23g, Iron: 2mg