Coconut Curry Lentils
Serve this rich and flavorful coconut curry lentils dish with rice or flatbread for an easy and very satisfying meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛-¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water or broth , plus more as needed
- 1 cup green lentils
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Fresh cilantro
Melt butter in pot over medium low heat. Add spices and cook for 3-4 minutes until aromatic.
Add tomato sauce, water or broth, lentils, and salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot with a lid, and cook until lentils are soft but not mushy, 35-40 minutes. Be sure to remove lid and stir lentils every so often to prevent sticking and burning. Add more water/broth as needed.
Add frozen vegetables and stir in coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Top with fresh cilantro and serve with rice or flatbread, or as desired.
- You can use either water or broth (chicken or vegetable) in this dish. Water will keep this dish simpler, but broth will add more flavor.
Calories: 256kcal, Carbohydrates: 21g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 11mg, Sodium: 484mg, Potassium: 555mg, Fiber: 10g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 2107IU, Vitamin C: 8mg, Calcium: 33mg, Iron: 3mg