Vanilla Layer Cake with Easy Fudge Frosting
A light and flavorful vanilla cake iced with easy fudge buttercream. Perfect for a birthday celebration!
For the cake:
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk (297 ml, 10 fl oz)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour , sifted (360 grams)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 grams)
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (226 grams)
For the frosting:
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate , melted and cooled (180 grams)
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar (563 grams)
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter , at room temperature (340 grams)
- 6 tablespoons whole milk or half and half (90 ml)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two (or three) 8 or 9-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, ¼ cup of the buttermilk, and the vanilla extract in a bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Add the butter and remaining 1 cup of buttermilk. Mix on low speed until moistened, then increase the speed to medium high and beat until light and creamy, about 4 minutes, scraping the bowl down as necessary.
Add the egg mixture to the mixer in 3 additions, mixing only until incorporated and scraping the bowl down between each addition.
Divide the batter between the 2 (or 3) prepared pans. Bake until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few dry crumbs, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to incorporate. Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
To assemble the cake, place one layer (flat side up) on a plate or cake stand. Cover with the fudge frosting. Repeat with the remaining layers. Cover and frost the top and sides of the cake with the frosting.
Place cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up. Let come to room temperature before serving.
Calories: 884kcal, Carbohydrates: 108g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 50g, Saturated Fat: 30g, Cholesterol: 192mg, Sodium: 161mg, Potassium: 379mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 79g, Vitamin A: 1358IU, Calcium: 145mg, Iron: 3mg