Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Pizza Wheels
Your favorite tomato, mozzarella, and basil pizza rolled up in single-serving pizza wheels.
- ½ recipe Basic Pizza Dough
- Easy marinara , recipe below
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese , thinly sliced (113 grams)
- ½ cup basil leaves , chopped (10 grams)
- Yellow cornmeal , for dipping
- Coarse salt , for sprinkling
For the easy marinara:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup onion , chopped (36 grams)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 14.5 oz can peeled diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as basil, oregano and thyme (2 teaspoons dried)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
To make the easy marinara:
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until onions are softened and translucent.
Add the tomatoes, herbs, red pepper, and salt. Simmer until liquid has reduced and sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
Use a blender to purée marinara. Use immediately. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
To make the pizza wheels:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Roll the pizza dough into a rough 9x12 inch rectangle. Spread a layer of marinara sauce on top. Top with the mozzarella slices and chopped basil.
Starting with the long end, roll the dough up towards you, making sure to keep it tight. The sauce and cheese may try to slide out, but try to keep them in place as much as possible.
Use a sharp knife to cut into 1 inch rounds. Dip one end of the wheels into the cornmeal and place on the prepared sheet pan (cornmeal side down). Sprinkle with coarse salt.
Bake until dough is golden and cheese has melted and started to brown, about 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately with extra marinara for dipping, if desired.
Calories: 98kcal, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 7mg, Sodium: 278mg, Potassium: 83mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 184IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 63mg, Iron: 1mg