Pear Cinnamon-Sugar Skillet Cake
A fall-inspired buttermilk skillet cake, filled with pears and pecans and scented with cinnamon sugar.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (56 grams)
- ⅔ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (142 grams)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (120 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk (120 ml)
- 2 pears sliced
- ½ cup pecans , chopped (55 grams)
- 1 ½ tablespoons cinnamon sugar , see note
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet with butter.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and egg and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the mixer in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in half of the chopped pecans.
Spread the batter into the prepared skillet. Arrange the pear slices on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and the remaining chopped pecans.
Bake until edges of the cake are golden and a toothpick inserted to the center come out with a few moist crumbs, about 20-25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Make cinnamon sugar by combining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon. Store unused cinnamon sugar in an airtight container.
- This recipe can be easily baked in a 9-inch round cake pan. Grease and flour, and line with parchment paper and proceed with the recipe as written.
Calories: 219kcal, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 137mg, Potassium: 137mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 20g, Vitamin A: 194IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 50mg, Iron: 1mg