Chocolate Pumpkin Tart with Gingersnap Crust
A non-traditional pumpkin pie with a gingersnap cookie crust and chocolate ganache topping.
For the crust:
- 1 ¼ cup gingersnaps (205 grams, about 20-22 cookies)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter , melted (75 grams)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 grams)
For the filling:
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (425 grams)
- ¾ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (160 grams)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream (355 ml)
For the chocolate ganache:
- 4 ounce bittersweet or dark chocolate , chopped or use chips (113 grams)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter , cubed (71 grams)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Roasted unsalted pepitas , for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
In a food processor, pulse the gingersnaps until crushed. Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse until combined. Alternately, crush the gingersnaps with your preferred method and combine with butter and sugar in a bowl. Press into a buttered tart or pie pan. Place on prepared sheet pan.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and orange zest. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. With the mixer on low, slowly add the heavy whipping cream. Mix until combined.
Pour filling into the prepared crust. Bake until edges are set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. If crust browns too quickly while baking, cover with foil. Let tart cool completely.
To make the ganache, place the chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and pour onto the cooled pumpkin filling. Lift the tart and swirl it around until the ganache completely covers the filling. Sprinkle with pepitas and chill for 30 minutes to set the chocolate before serving.
Calories: 397kcal, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 122mg, Sodium: 206mg, Potassium: 234mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 26g, Vitamin A: 6335IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 91mg, Iron: 2mg