Sweet Potato-Cranberry Crisp
This Sweet Potato and Cranberry Crisp with a potato chip topping is a fun twist on the thanksgiving classic.
For the filling:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes , thinly sliced (900 grams)
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar (213 grams)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (28 grams)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (100 grams)
For the topping:
- ½ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (55 grams)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 grams)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter , melted (75 grams)
- ½ cup pecans , chopped (55 grams)
- 1 ½ cup potato chips , crushed (45 grams)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place the sweet potatoes, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice, nutmeg, salt, butter, vanilla and orange zest in a medium saucepan. Add enough to water to just cover the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer until sweet potatoes just begin to turn tender, but are still firm. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sweet potatoes. Place in an 8-inch baking dish and add the cranberries.
Continue to simmer the liquid in the saucepan until it has been reduced to about 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks. Spoon over the sweet potatoes and cranberries.
In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, butter, pecans and potato chips. Sprinkle mixture over the top of the filling.
Bake until golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 35-45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then serve warm. Store leftovers in the fridge.
Calories: 515kcal, Carbohydrates: 81g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 28mg, Sodium: 225mg, Potassium: 743mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 46g, Vitamin A: 16419IU, Vitamin C: 7mg, Calcium: 87mg, Iron: 2mg