Apple Fritter Waffle Doughnuts
Waffles and doughnuts come together in this apple fritter mashup treat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup buttermilk (175 ml)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , melted (55 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped apples , peels removed (225 grams, from about 2-3 apples)
- Vegetable or canola oil , for frying
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (170 grams)
- ¼ cup whole milk (60 ml)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Add liquids to the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add the chopped apples and mix only until incorporated.
Preheat a waffle iron and cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions. Let cool and cut into segments.
Pour enough vegetable or canola oil into a heavy bottomed pot so that it's 2 inches deep. Set over medium heat, insert a thermometer, and heat to 360° F.
Working with the waffles in small batches, fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Use a slotted spoon to remove doughnuts and transfer to a paper towel lined tray to drain.
To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Dip the hot doughnuts into the glaze and let sit on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving.
Calories: 191kcal, Carbohydrates: 36g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 203mg, Potassium: 112mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 23g, Vitamin A: 152IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 49mg, Iron: 1mg