Farro Salad with Tomatoes and Basil
A simple and hearty salad of farro, tomatoes and basil with a garlic olive oil dressing. Serve it for lunch, or add grilled chicken or salmon for a light dinner.
- 1 ½ cups farro (285 grams)
- 2 teaspoons salt , divided
- 1 large clove of garlic , finely minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes , halved
- ¼ cup packed basil , chopped
- Additional salt and pepper , to taste
Bring approximately 6 cups of water to a boil on the stove. Season with 1 ½ teaspoons salt. Add farro and cook until al dente, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool to room temperature.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, garlic, sweet onion, balsamic vinegar, pepper and olive oil. Add to the cooled farro and toss until incorporated. Stir in the sliced tomatoes and basil. Serve.
Note: Can be made ahead. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Italian.
Calories: 188kcal, Carbohydrates: 31g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 587mg, Potassium: 193mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 319IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 15mg, Iron: 1mg