Grilled Lemon-Cilantro Chicken and Veggie Skewers
These grilled lemon-cilantro chicken and veggie skewers are a fresh, light and flavorful meal to enjoy all summer long.
For the marinade:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the skewers:
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs (recommended) or breasts , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small zucchini , sliced
- 1 red/yellow/orange bell pepper , cut into cubes
- 1 small red onion , cut into wedges
- 2 cups crimini, baby bella or button mushrooms , halved
- 2 lemons , halved
- Additional cilantro , for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil, cilantro, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and all vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
Preheat grill to medium high heat. Place chicken and vegetables on metal or wood skewers. Brush lemon halves with marinade.
Cook skewers on grill until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are softened, about 4-5 minutes on each side. While the skewers are cooking, place the lemons cut side-down on the grill for a few minutes until charred.
Squeeze grilled lemons over skewers and serve as desired with a salad, rice, quinoa, etc. Garnish with additional cilantro.
- Chicken thighs have more flavor than chicken breast and are recommended for this recipe, but either can be used.
- If using wooded skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes before assembling skewers to prevent them from burning on the grill.
Calories: 433kcal, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 23g, Fat: 33g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 111mg, Sodium: 1198mg, Potassium: 728mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 1144IU, Vitamin C: 79mg, Calcium: 47mg, Iron: 2mg