Lemon Berry Tart
A light and summery tart filled with lemon cream and topped with fresh berries.
For the crust:
- 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour (160 grams)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (25 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter , cubed (113 grams)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
- 2 cups whole milk (500 ml)
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ cups granulated sugar (100 grams)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (28 grams)
- Zest 1 lemon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , cubed (56 grams)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 2-3 cups fresh berries , such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
To make the crust:
Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl or the bowl of a food processor.
Add the cubed butter and cut into the other ingredients with a pastry blender until coarse and sandy, or if you're using a food processor, pulse in short bursts.
Whisk together the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of the ice water. Add to the flour mixture and use a spoon or your hands (or a few pulses) to bring it together into a ball. If needed, add more ice water 1/2 tablespoon at a time.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge 1 hour. (Can be made up to 3 days ahead.)
On a floured surface, roll the crust out to a rough 12 or 13-inch circle. Transfer to a greased 8-inch tart pan and press it in gently. Remove any overhanging crust.
Chill in the fridge 30 minutes. (Can be made up to 3 days ahead, cover with plastic wrap.)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line chilled crust with greased foil and fill tart with baking weights, dry rice, or beans. Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and weights and bake for 10 minutes more, until golden. Remove and cool completely.
For the filling:
Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat just until bubbles appear at the edges. Do not bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest. Mixture will be very thick. When milk is warm, add to the egg mixture in a small steady stream while whisking constantly.
Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick, while stirring constantly with a rubber spatula. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in butter, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface of the custard. Chill completely, 1-2 hours.
To assemble tart:
Stir cooled custard until smooth and spread into the tart crust.
Top tart with fresh berries. Serve immediately, or chill in the fridge for up to 2 hours. Tart is best the day it is assembled, but can be stored in the fridge for a few days.
- Crust can be made in advance. Store crust dough in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 1 month. Store baked (unfilled) tart shell at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.
- Prepare the filling at any time while the crust dough is chilling or being baked, and up to 1 week in advance.
Calories: 400kcal, Carbohydrates: 43g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 198mg, Sodium: 109mg, Potassium: 189mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 21g, Vitamin A: 825IU, Vitamin C: 28mg, Calcium: 104mg, Iron: 2mg