Potato Leek Soup with Italian Sausage
A hearty and satisfying soup to keep you warm all winter long.
- 1 lb Italian sausage , spicy or mild
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb leeks , white and light green parts only, chopped
- 2 medium carrots , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup dry white wine , see Notes
- 4-5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb yukon or gold potatoes , chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme , stems removed
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
In a large pot brown sausage over medium high heat until cooked all the way through, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer sausage to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
Add olive oil, leeks, and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
Add wine and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes until liquid is reduced by half.
Add the broth, potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and more salt and pepper. Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Return the sausage to the pot and stir in the milk or cream. Serve with crusty bread, or as desired.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. The soup is even better the next day!
- I used a Sauvingnon Blanc. If you prefer to not cook with wine, omit Step 3 and increase broth to 5-6 cups.
Calories: 435kcal, Carbohydrates: 27g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 27g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 59mg, Sodium: 1227mg, Potassium: 760mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 5040IU, Vitamin C: 21mg, Calcium: 116mg, Iron: 5mg